cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless printing and sleep mode compatability MF4800

anhhaovu
Apprentice

I have a 4890dw wireless printer.  It seems that every time the printer goes into sleep mode, I lose connectivity to my router.  The only way therefore to print, is to either power cycle the printer and allow it to reconnect to my network, or manually reconnect to my network via the printer interface.

This defeats the whole purpose of printing wirelessly if you have to physically reconnect to the network everytime.

Currently, you cannot set infinity for auto sleep. It only allows 5-240 mins for every sleep cycle.  Does anybody know of a way to circumvent this? I don't care about paying for extra electricity I just want a wireless printer that I paid good money for.

8 REPLIES 8

Crista
Whiz

Hi anhhaovu!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or OS 10.X) you are using. That way, community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Thanks!

rmwigdnal
Apprentice

This seems to be a common theme. I see this on my MG3122 using Windows 7 via Wireless.
Once you turn it on, then turn it off and wait for all the lights to stop blinking, then turn it back on, it will print. I even have the "Auto-sleep" feature disabled and still it goes into some weird sleep mode.

Patrice
Whiz

Hi anhhaovu!

It appears that the ip address may be changing when the computer goes into Energy Saver Mode.  I recommend setting a static ip address.  Please follow the steps below:

1. On your computer, open the [Devices and Printers] Window.
  2. Right-click on the MF4800 Series icon, and then click "Properties".
  3. Click on the "Ports" tab, and then write down the ip address of the selected port.  (You may need to select "Configure Port".)
  4. Click on the Windows "Start" button, and in the "Search" box, type "Cmd".
  5. In the window, type "ipconfig", and then press [Enter].
  6. Write down the "Subnet Mask" and "Gateway" for your network.

Next, go to the printer and follow the steps below:

1. Press [ ] (Menu).

2. Press [ ] or [ ] to highlight <Network Settings>, and then press [OK].

If a System Manager PIN is specified:
Use the numeric keys to enter the System Manager PIN, and then press [OK].

3. Press [ ] or [ ] to highlight <TCP/IP Settings>, and then press [OK].

4. Press [ ] or [ ] to highlight <IPv4 Settings>, and then press [OK].

5. Press [ ] or [ ] to highlight <IP Address Settings>, and then press [OK].

6. Press [ ] or [ ] to highlight [Manual Obtain].

<Auto Obtain>Set the IP address using any of DHCP, BOOTP, RARP or Auto IP.
<Manual Obtain>Manually assign an IP address for the machine.
This setting can be specified only when <Select Protocol> and <Auto IP> in <Auto Obtain> are set to <Off>.

7. Change the IP address settings.

For <Manual Obtain>:
This setting can be specified only when <Select Protocol> and <Auto IP> in <Auto Obtain> are set to <Off>.

7-B-1. Enter the IP address.

After it has been entered, press [OK].

7-B-2. Enter the subnet mask.

7-B-3. Enter the gateway address.

8. Press [ ] (Menu) to close the Menu screen.

9. Restart the machine.

It is necessary to restart the machine to take effect the settings.
Turn OFF the machine and wait for at least 10 seconds before turning it back ON.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  Should you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666. 
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I would like to read your answer to this problem, but you keep using a character which shows up as just a small blue box with a question mark inside, so I can't really tell what your entry says.

I really don't understand why a company would sell a product like this to consumers without warning them that it takes a master's degree in computer science to make it work to minimum standards.  My router is downstairs.  The printer constantly claims that is it not connected to the computer.  If I try to scan I will get a message pop up on my computer that says that the scanner is not connected to the computer!!!!  If the scanner is not connected to the computer how did it send a message to the computer to tell the computer that it was not connected.

This is the worst product I have ever owned and the software engineering reminds me of a Monte Python skit.

WHY don't big companies ever admit and then fix problems???

As another poster said, having to go to the computer to get it to connect to WiFi every time you want to print something defeats the whole purpose of wifi.  If the printer is up stairs and the computer is downstairs you have to go up and down stairs several times to print a letter.  Someone at Canon should be fired.

DocB
Apprentice

After two days of sucessfully using the imageCLASS MF 4880dw on a WiFi network, the printer suddenly decided to go into sleep mode, permanently.  I reset the IP address, and it briefly woke up, but not long enough to print a simple four-page document.

I can get the printer page in Boujour, or by entering the URL in Safari, but that is the most the printer will do.

Try to perfrom a complete reset of the printer back to its' fresh-out-of-the-box, factory settings.  Consult your manual.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

luckyjack
Apprentice

I HAVE 3 OF YOUR PRINTERS AND DO NOT CARE ABOUT ELECTRICITY.  THEY LOOSE CONNECTION WHEN THEY GO TO SLEEP.  I AM NOT USING THEM WIRELESSLY, THEY ARE DIRECT CONNECT TO COMPUTER VIA USB.  I WANT TO TURN OFF POWER SAVE MODE OR SLEEP MODE. 

CAN YOU TELL ME HOW.

Announcements