cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired PIXMA MX492? - Ethernet Connection to Router

Kalc
Apprentice

Manual instructs using the MX 492 USB to set up the printer for WiFi.  When I used USB to print from Windows, it printed with no special effort, but wiped out the wireless LAN settings.  Assuming adapters, and he sending computers have the drivers, could the MX492 USB be used to print from a router via ethernet?   Is it as simple as plug and play or does the printer need to be configured?

4 REPLIES 4

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Kalc,

To connect your PIXMA MX492 to your wireless network, please follow these steps:

1.  Please press the wrench and screwdriver button on your PIXMA MX492.

2.  Use the right arrow button to select Device Settings and press OK.

3.  Use the right arrow button to select LAN Settings and press OK.

4.  Select Wireless LAN Setup and press OK.

5.  If the WPS message appears, press the STOP button 1 time.

6.  Select Standard Setup and press OK.

7.  Select your wireless network and press OK.

8.  Enter your wireless network password and press OK.  Please verify the password, as it is case sensitive and if entered incorrectly, will cause the printer and router to not communicate.  To switch between letters and numbers, press the * key.

9.  Press <OK> on the confirmation screen.  The PIXMA MX492 will search for the access point.

10.  When found, press OK on the Connected to the access point screen.

You can view screenshots of this process in this Knowledgebase Article:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART117459

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello,

Although the answer does provide a useful way to provide wireless access to the MX492, I was asking about setting up the MX492 to run on ethernet, not WiFi.  I guess a usb to ethernet print server might do the trick, but I have not tested this guess.

2BOB
Contributor

Think i will try that, one end of the cable will be ethernet and the other whatever port is on the back of the printer

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@2BOB,

Recommend you not  try it.  Its a waste of your tiime.

This printer supports USB or 2.4Ghz Wireless (b/g/n)

Attempting to use it with an adapter, print server dongle, etc will just result in frustration.  If you want ethernet connectivity, buy a true network capable printer with an ethernet port.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It
Announcements