cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA TR8620 WiFi problems with Eero mesh router

johnschult
Apprentice

Problem: New Canon TR8620 will not successfully perform WiFi setup. Neither mobile app or desktop app will configure WiFi correctly. Easy setup fails, manual setup does not prompt for password. Canon support offered no suggestions or solutions. 

Network: eero Pro 6

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

johnschult
Apprentice

I had WPA3 enabled in Discover / eero Labs. I disabled it and performed WiFi setup again on the printer. Using the app again failed. I ended up having to do it manually and enter the password, but your mileage may vary. 

When doing the WiFi setup, only connect to one eero router. Select the MAC address for the closest eero. After that I was able to select my SSID, enter password, connect.

I found the answer on Reddit. I find it ridiculous that no other devices on my network have a problem, but a Canon printer in 2020 can't figure it out. Sigh Smiley Frustrated

I hope this helps someone else!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

johnschult
Apprentice

I had WPA3 enabled in Discover / eero Labs. I disabled it and performed WiFi setup again on the printer. Using the app again failed. I ended up having to do it manually and enter the password, but your mileage may vary. 

When doing the WiFi setup, only connect to one eero router. Select the MAC address for the closest eero. After that I was able to select my SSID, enter password, connect.

I found the answer on Reddit. I find it ridiculous that no other devices on my network have a problem, but a Canon printer in 2020 can't figure it out. Sigh Smiley Frustrated

I hope this helps someone else!

Exact same problem with the exact same printer. WPA3 prevent the printer from even asking for password.  Really wish I'd found your solution 3 hours ago! Would have saved me a lot of grief setting this up.  

I just ran into a similar but worse problem with the Canon TR4720 printer. I did a normal setup attempt. The printer goes live, device (PC or phone) connects to printer, sets things up... the printer can't see my network. 

So I tried picking just the MAC address for the nearby printer. No good.

I tried going to 2.4GHz mode. No good. 

Finally, I unplugged all the the gateway node -- the printer's in the same room -- and that finally connected. It remained connected as long as it was up. 

But eventually, the printer went to sleep. When I turned it back on again, it can't find the network. I have to take the network down again to get the printer up again, and that's good until the printer powers down. 

My initial success had me send the box along to recycling, tragically, otherwise I'd return the stupid thing. I knew from experience with my Canon 6D that Canon was kind of stupid about WiFi (and GPS), but man, they've had a decade+ to learn a bit more. I have a dozen+ 2.4GHz-only IoT devices on the network with no complaints, all functional. I don't think it's eero, but on the other hand, I didn't have any problems at all with Google's mesh router, other than similarly simplistic UI/features... I mean, I could have solved this with a secondary SSID setup on my old Asus router in five minutes. Not that it should be necessary, but good networking tools take into account this sort of thing. 

katigirl
Apprentice
OMG! I’d been searching for WEEKS! This solved my issue with j’y Legrand dimmer too! Thank you!!!
Announcements