cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Connection lost after year or so of working. Pixma 5220

onevox
Apprentice

I'm running Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard 10.6  (... also tried and failed with Dell Inspiron 1501 running XP. It finds the Wifi printer when it searches, but comes back with "the printer installation failed. Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000643) )

Via Mac:

USB connection works fine. WiFi does not anymore. When I launch the latest IJ Network tool (I just downloaded it), it get the following:

Screen shot 2014-08-10 at 9.30.18 PM.png

1. I have turned the printer on and off. My Airport Extreme wifi router on and off.

2. I have reset my Airport to factory settings and set up a new network. And verified that my wifi works.

3. I have reset my Pixma wifi settings twice, and both times verified that it found the access point. My blue WIFI light is on.

4. No other computers in my home are connected to the printer.

5. All ink cartridges are full.

6. When I connect via USB cable, the printer is immediately detected and working.

7. When I go to configuration on the USB printer my Airport network shows up. With the USB cable connected, I have checked the settings to my network and confirmed the network key.

8. I have tried both WPA2 and WEP encryption.

9. I have tried adding the printer from the Print & Fax dialog box in System Preferences. The scanner shows up in the list when I press +  but the printer does not (unless I'm using USB).

10. When I go to configuration on the USB printer my Airport network shows up. I have reset my settings to my network and confirmed the network key.

11. I did a Mac Disk Utility scan and the hard drive is has no errors.

Any ideas? Not sure why the printer finds the access point, the computers find the wifi network, the computers apparently see the printer out there, but can't connect.

Peter

1 REPLY 1

onevox
Apprentice

Problem solved. Not sure what the solution was, but once I got Canon tech support on the phone, the problem went away. Can they send signals to the printer over a cell phone???  Of course, I switched out my Airport with a newer model I just bought for my son, but it wasn't working the first time a tried to print using it.  

The guy at Canon said I may have a wifi channel on the older Airport that is weakening, or not holding a constant signal. Now to go back and test the older Airport. 

Whatever it was, Canon tech support was as easy and helpful as I have experienced. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements