cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to set up PIXMA MX922 on a student network. Help!

starkeef
Contributor

My PIXMA MX922 is not setting up on my student network. My network is the kind that you need to first get on the student network, then down load software to be able to log in. I need to wireless print and I can't seem to do that and I already have stuff to print. Anybody out there that can help, I appreciate it and need to get it printing fast! I'm on a MacBook running Yosemite.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

starkeef
Contributor

Okay, I think after pouring over the online manual I found a solution to wireless printing. Bluetooth. I ordered a used dongle from Amazon for $10 - the one Canon suggested, the D-Link DBT-120 Wireless Bluetooth USB Adapter. There is absolutely no way printers can work on most college networks. The reason being that these are public networks and basically anyone could use the printer from anywhere. So, a local printing solution is the only other option. But instead of a cord that three people need to plug into whenever they need to print, the Bluetooth option will work great and it's easy to set up.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Jason
Whiz

Hi there!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your inquiry!  Since you mentioned you need this resolved quickly, we wanted to mention that the Forums aren't meant for immediate assistance, but are designed to allow the community to help each other with issues encountered or tips they'd like to share along the way.

We do hope someone in the community is able to help!  However, If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is a much more efficient way to get help. They're ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

We hope this helps!

Well, I din't mean that I needed it yesterday. But I was hoping for a response within a few days. But after talking to Canon it sounds like there is no possible way to use it on a college network, which is public. Which is so odd considering almost everyone at college has a printer. So, it'll have to be the ol' USB printer cable for 3 people. Inconvienient, but I guess it'll do.

Best way is thru a bluetooth adapter but I'm not sure if the BU-30 which it the one Canon sells for 40-50 bucks is the ONLY adapter that you can use.

starkeef
Contributor

Okay, I think after pouring over the online manual I found a solution to wireless printing. Bluetooth. I ordered a used dongle from Amazon for $10 - the one Canon suggested, the D-Link DBT-120 Wireless Bluetooth USB Adapter. There is absolutely no way printers can work on most college networks. The reason being that these are public networks and basically anyone could use the printer from anywhere. So, a local printing solution is the only other option. But instead of a cord that three people need to plug into whenever they need to print, the Bluetooth option will work great and it's easy to set up.

If you find out the that BT option doesn't work could you USB the printer to one computer and share it to the other two computers?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

That could work, however I'm not sure of how the public student network would handle that. I suppose if you put just the specific roomates onto the share, it might just work. Thanks for the suggestion and if BT doesn't do it then I'll give that a try.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements