cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The PIXMA MX922 printer name is not seen on network causing disconnections.

AUser
Apprentice

On all my printer connections (PCs, Android phones,  the router)  the cannon device name shows up as 'Unknown'.   This unknown name is causing the router to issue a new IP address to the MX922 at every lease renewal.  Since the PC's and Android phones can only bind to a IP address (the name is unknown), they never update their IP addresses causing them to be disconnected from the MX922. (Of course there is no name listed in any of the printer selection lists.)

The 'Network Configuration Page' print out shows the name I gave it under 'Other Setttings/Printer Name'.  I just called it "ThePrinter" which is a unique name on my LAN.

Since all 5 of my printer connections only show this problem for the MX922, I must be setting the up the printer incorrectly.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

The issue may be related to signal strength.  Try moving the printer closer to the router to see if this helps. 

If the issue persists, you may want to try reserving an IP address for the printer on the router.  Check the documentation for your router to see how this can be done in the router settings.

If you continue to have difficulties with this issue, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

To Micheal:  

Of course reserving the IP address solves the the connection problem, but then all my devices see it as 192.168.1.100 (at least in my case).  It a terrible thing to tell grandma she has to select 192.168.1.100 to select the printer.

The router is 1 foot from the printer and it sees the printer as unknown.  IMHO it is kind of silly to say that the signal strength is good enough for a device to see the printer, but that the signal strength is weak enough not to see the printer name.

This lack of printer name would explain a lot of the disconnects that are reported for the MX922 in this forum.

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements