cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TR 8520 offline -- worked when set up, but not now

joyseeker
Apprentice

A Canon tech helped me set up my printer a couple of days ago, and I successfully printed a document from my computer.

Now when I go to print, I get the message that the printer is offline.  On the printer display the wireless connection shows it's active and when I pressed it, it has the correct WiFi network.

I also tested this by trying to scan, and the only option displayed was USB, not wireless.

How can I troubleshoot this?

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is whats (likely) happening.  The IP that your router assigned to the printer when it was installed has changed.  Now your computer thinks the printers IP is XXX, but its changed because the printer has gone to sleep, been shut off or not been used for some period of time.  Your router reclaims IP addresses it thinks are no longer needed or being used.  

How to resolve.  Assign the printer a static IP.  One that doen't change.  Now all devices on your network will always know how to to "find" the printer and also where to send print jobs because the destination will never change.  I'm willing to bet this will solve your "printer is offline" issue on your computer once it knows where to find te device.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.  Except how do I assign the printer a static IP?

Hi joyseeker,

Please follow these steps:

1.  Select the gear icon at the bottom of the display of your PIXMA TR8520

2.  Select Settings

3.  Select Device settings

4.  Select LAN settings

5.  Select Common settings

6.  Select TCP/IP settings

7.  Select IPv6 and then Yes

8.  Select Enable/disable IPv6 and select Disable

9.  Press the Home icon in the upper left corner

Next, please turn your printer off.  Wait 30 seconds and turn it back on.

Once back on, please attempt to print.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I tried the setup suggested but it still says offline when I try to print

Hello,

Canon does have a chat team that would be happy to assist you with this issue. Please click HERE and in the chat box, ask to speak to a live person. Our chat agents are available Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm ET, excluding holidays.

These are directions I can follow!  Started printing without me turning off the printer.  Wish me luck!

Announcements