cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG3620 Reset/Change WiFi Connection

gtifeld
Contributor

Hello Experts,

I have a friend with a Pixma MG3620 that was set up by someone else a few years ago on a wireless network. My friend changed ISPs a few months ago and now has a new router, but his printer was never set up to connect to the new access point.

Since the printer does not have a display panel, I can't quite figure out how to connect it to the new router. I looked at the documentation online, but I'm not seeing where those steps are.

How can I connect the printer wirelessly to the new access point/router? Can I change it, or do I need to manually reset the printer to its factory setting so that I'll be prompted to re-connect?

Thank you in advance for any assitance. Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Caemene
Rising Star

Hi gtifeld,

Shadowsports provided some excellent information on connecting the printer to the network using a computer. 

Another option available is using an Android- or Apple-supported mobile device to connect the printer to the network. The steps below will assist you:

On the Printer

1. Turn the printer off and back on.
  2. Press and hold the Wi-Fi button (A) until the ON ((B) lamp flashes, release the button.
  3. Press and release the Color Start (C) button.
    • MG3620 cableless 1.PNG
  4. Press and release the Wi-Fi (A) button.
  5. Make sure that the Wi-Fi (D) lamp is flashing quickly and the ON lamp is solid.
    • MG3620 cableless 2.PNG

On your Mobile Device

1. From the Google Play Store or Apple App Store, download the Canon PRINT Inkjet/SELPHY app. This app is free of charge.
  2. Once the app is downloaded, go to the home screen of your mobile device.
  3. Go to the device settings.
  4. Go to Wi-Fi.
  5. Temporarily connect to the Canon network.
  6. Open the Canon PRINT Inkjet/SELPHY app.
  7. Press on the icon of the printer with the plus (+) sign in the upper left corner.
  8. Press Register Printer.
  9. Press Perform Wireless LAN Setup.
  10. Press Auto Select Conn. Method (recommended)
  11. Press Connect via wireless router (recommended)
  12. The message, “The printer will be connected to the following wireless router.” may appear on the screen, Press YES if it is your network.
  13. Please enter your network's password, press OK.
  14. The message, “Sent the settings.” will appear on the screen.” press OK.
  15. The app will attempt to register the printer.
  16. Press the detected printer.
  17. The message, “You can register a printer under a name of your choice.” will appear on the screen. You can change the name or press OK.
  18. Close the app.
  19. Perform a test print.

If the setup fails, please unplug your router for approximately 1 minute. Once the router is plugged back it, after approximately 2 minutes all devices should be back up on the network. Perform the wireless setup one more time.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35

The password is not the issue.  It connects and works with WiFi but keeps dropping several times a day, and cannot get it back without restarts, etc.  All other home devices work fine with WiFi.  The printer does not.  The problem is consistent with other customers complaints with this product.  Already tried dynamic ip, static ip, etc., full printer reset, driver re-installs (but not really relevent, as the printer is the problem), firmware upgrade, etc..  (Original post is earlier in this thread.)  Thank you!

HI... 

Repeating my request.... 

All afternoon trying to find out how to change my wi-fi password on a TS8200.  I do not want to do wireless direct. Even if I do, the password option is too short.  I want to be able to change the password fro my new wi-fi modem..which it found....  all teh documentation says ensure your password is correct but it does not show you how to change it.  As soon as I select the wireless router name, it tries to connect and then give me the error as it can't connect because the password needs to be updated. 

Canon Support...I need your help... on my specific model.  all teh otehr info is not applicable.   

Thank you. 

Hi GemStar, 

We've found the following info which we hope will be helpful: 

Wi-Fi Connection

Follow the procedure below to set up a printer.

1. Make sure printer is turned on before starting wireless connection setup.

If the power is on, the ON lamp (A) will be lit.

figure: ON lamp lights up

Important

• If printer is performing cleaning, print head alignment, or other processes, wait for the process to finish, before starting setup.
  2. If the screen on the below appears, tap Stop (B).

figure: Press the Stop button
  3. If HOME is displayed on the left side of the screen, tap HOME..

HOME screen

Note

• If an error screen appears, tap OK, and then tap HOME.
  4. Tap Network (A).

HOME screen: Select Network
  5. Tap Wi-Fi.

LAN settings screen: Select Wi-Fi
  6. Tap Settings.

Wi-Fi setting list screen: Select Settings
  7. Tap Wi-Fi setup.

Wi-Fi screen: Select Wi-Fi setup

8. Tap Manual connect.

Wi-Fi setup screen: Select Manual connect
  9. Tap your wireless router.

Select wireless router screen

If a different screen appears or no wireless router is found, see "Troubleshooting."

10. One of the screens below will appear.

If "Connected to the wireless router." appears, the network does not require a password. Continue from step 8.

Enter password screen

Enter password screen

If a different screen appears, see "Troubleshooting."

11. Tap the input area.

12. Enter the password. Text entry is case-sensitive.

If you don't know the password for your wireless router, see the wireless router manual or contact its manufacturer.

Enter password screen
  13. Tap OK.

Enter password screen
  14. Tap OK.

Password confirmation screen

Password confirmation screen
  15. When the screen on the below appears, tap OK.

Completion screen (Connected to the wireless router.)

If a different screen appears, see "Troubleshooting."

16. Tap HOME on the left side of the screen..

HOME screen

The network connection setup is now complete.

When connection is complete, Network appears at the bottom left of the screen.

17. macOS

Return to the application software and proceed with the setup.

Click Setup icon in the Dock, follow the on-screen instructions to proceed with setup.

Dock

HI , 

thank you for the response and pictures.  Where i get stuck is that the printer finds my NEW router and so it 'connect's . It does not prompt for a password.  it is remember the password from the old router.  So it never does get truly connected.  

I have unplugged the printer. I have disconnected the router. and still no password screen.  

I cannot find the password screen on my MG-5722.  I changed router, which changed my wifi and it has been 2 months of trying on and off to get my MG-5722 to work.  It was fine on my previous router no problem.

I think the solution to cannon printer problems is to throw them away and buy EPSON printers and never buy CANON again!

Hi marieri,

To set up your PIXMA MG5722 on your wireless network, please follow these steps:

1.  On your PIXMA MG5722, please press the Home button.

2.  Use the down arrow to select the screwdriver and wrench icon (Setup) and press the button below it.

3.  Use the right arrow to select Device settings and press OK.

4.  Use the down arrow to select LAN settings and press OK.

5.  Use the down arrow to select Wireless LAN setup and press OK.

6.  Use the down arrow to select Standard setup and press OK.

7.  Select your home's wireless network name and press OK.

8.  Press OK to enable the onscreen keyboard and then enter your Wi-Fi password.  Please make sure that the password is corrrect.  The password is case sensitive, if entered incorrectly, your PIXMA MG5722 will not connect to your wireless network.

9.  Once entered, press the button below Done.

10.  Press the button below End Setup.

Your PIXMA MG5722 will connect to your Wi-Fi.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the same issue as many others.  The responses to fix the issue are all the same, however the point is being missed.

The issue is that if a SSID has already been used, and the printer is not connected (for whatever reason), when the user chooses the same SSID, the printer has a password in memory and therefore it does not promt the user to enter a new password.

So step #8 in Patrick's reply never comes up on screen.

If the old password that the printer "remembers" is not valid, or even if it is*, the user is not prompted to enter a password and so the printer doesn't connect.

*which is my case - all my other devices connect (so the PW is acceptable) but for some reason my Canon MX522 will not Note that it was connected before to the same SSID with the same PW.  My problems started when my service provider reset my modem.

So frustrating.  I connected the printer with a cable and tried the Canon tools however I was still not able to resolve the issue.  I also connected the printer to a different SSID (asked for a PW and connected fine) and then went back to the old SSID and it still didn't ask for a PW and didn't connect.  As others have stated, Reset LAN Settings on the printer panel does not help.

My workaround is to change my SSID.  That means reconnecting all other devices on my LAN just so I can get my printer connected again.  A huge PITA.

Canon - please fix the firmware.  Make it possible under "Advanced setup" to manually enter the PW for any SSID chosen, even if it was one already used before.

Actually, simply changing the SSID on my modem does NOT fix the problem.  Seems the printer remembers more than the SSID name and PW (IP or MAC?).

Great, so now my printer does not connect at all to my WiFi.

Canon - help! 

How can I perform a factory reset on my printer, erasing all user settings?!?

I have the same problem. I changed my wifi password but my wifi name is the same. The printer is recognizing the wifi name and doesn't ask for the new password and it is trying to connect to it without asking the password and it gives an error. How can I update the network password on my printer? It is automatically trying to connect to it without even asking for the password. It is really frustrating !!! Resetting is not working at all. Someone help, please! 

I have canon Pixma mg5220

UPDATE: I SOLVED MY PROBLEM! I just updated the password finally!! 

Step 1: I bought a printer cable to connect my printer to my computer, below is the link if you have mg5220
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087BZDQQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Step 2: I downloaded the driver and Canon IJ Network Tool Ver.4.7.3 (Mac) software. Even though I have macOS big sur, I downloaded the macOS high sierra v10.1 version of the driver since they did not have a driver for the Big Sur. I needed to download the driver for the following step. here is the link for you to download specific drivers and software for your printer.
P.s. you need to find your printer model on this website 
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mg...

Step 3: If you are a mac user I added printer by going system preferences> printers & scanners when you click add button(+) after finding the printer to add it, it will ask you to select drivers for that you needed to download driver thing I mentioned above. (not sure if this step was necessary)

Step 4: I opened Canon IJ Network Tool, it searched and found my printer. In the left corner, you will see an option that says setup, click on that(it is drop-down menu), and chose utilities, and then you will be able to click the configuration button. After clicking the configuration button another small tab will open enter your wifi name and Encryption method. For me, it was USE WPA2. Again click the configuration button in there. You will have a new tab opened with a headline WPA2 Details. Enter your wifi password there and I chose AES(Secure Encryption) And then click OK. It will ask you "if you would like to change password information on your printer" say yes.
Here is a link for step 4 which will be easier to follow: https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/NetworkTool/M/4.4/EN/NWT/nwt_settings0400.html

Yayyy you just forced your printer to accept the new password!!!
Congrats!

I'm no technical person at all. I saw replies made by Canon to the same question I had and it was useless, sorry but I needed to say.
Canon technical person was just telling us how to connect the printer to wifi which is a basic step but the problem is, these people aren't asking that right then why reply with copy-paste answers which are not helpful at all??
But still thank you to the Canon official who is trying to help maybe he/she did not have any other info in hand.

What all of us were asking how to update the wifi password on a printer since the printer is trying to connect without asking the password which gives an error because the password is not the same password anymore.

I hope this helps everyone here who is struggling to update their wifi passwords on their printer!!!!

Mel

I actually got my MX522 printer reconnected.

Thinking the printer was remembering the MAC address of my modem/router, I had my service provider swap the modem/router.

I changed the SSID and password on the new router to match my previous info - no luck, the printer did not ask for the password.

So I decided to try the "automated" approach using the "Standard Setup."  I pressed the WPS (Wi-Fi Pretected Setup) button on the router when the printer asked for it.  

Bingo, reconnected automatically.

Hope this helps others.

Announcements