cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Pixma MX472 will not connect to wireless network

LShep
Apprentice

My Pixma MX472 will not connect to the wireless network in my home. The router is fine. Everything else is connected. But the printer won't connect. It will find my router says it is connected but still will not print. I turn on printer, give it a second and it just connects.

I have tried reinstalling and this did not solve the problem.  The printer was working fine, I have checked all connections the only message I receive is my ink is running low.

Please help.

21 REPLIES 21

yes

tompayne
Contributor

I am having the same/similar problem. My printer (MX-472) is accessible over the network when I first cycle power but after about 2-3 hours, the printer becomes inaccessible over wifi. At that point, I can still print via USB from my office but the rest of the family is out of luck. If I print out the network settings from the printer, everything seems fine.

When the printer is accessible, I can reach the internal website but once the printer goes wifi silent, that page can't be reached either.

I tried disabling IPv6 functionality (that causes problems on other systems) but it appears to have no effect.

Hi tompayne,

On the Network Settings page that you printed, what is listed next to Signal Strength?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

It is a strong signal (see below).

It seems I can acccess the site via wifi for several hours...then is disappears. (I just had to cycle power to capture this)

cannon signal.JPG

Hello.

Try the following adjustment to see if this will help.

1.  Press the Setup button on the printer.  (This button looks like a pair of tools.)
2.  Select Device Settings and press OK.
3.  Select LAN Settings and press OK.
4.  Select Other Settings and press OK.
5.  Select WSD Setting and press OK.
6.  Select Enable/Disable and press OK.
8.  Change the setting to Inactive and press OK.

Once this has been done, uninstall the MP Drivers on the network computers, then reinstall the drivers on the network computers to see if the unit will be able to print consistently.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I will try that.

Can you explain why the WSD setting (Web Services on Device API) will impact the timeout on network connectivity? How will this impact my ability to access the built-in web server after 4 hours? 

This did not work for me. I reinstalled the drivers and it could not detect the printers on my network, which I think is another issue.

Same here. No change.

I'm ready to just go buy a new printer! 

Hi tompayne and tennisgirl858.

Tom:

Is your router a wifi hotspot?  Most hotspots are programmed to drop connections that have not been used for extended periods of time, in order to save both electricity and processing power.  If this applies to your situation, refer to the hotspot's manual for information on whether this setting can be disabled, or if it can be set to reserve an IP address specifically for the printer.

Both:

If you are reinstalling by clicking "Add Printer" in Windows, the computer will add the MX472 using Microsoft-developed drivers intended to get the printer working quickly. These default drivers do not support all functions of the MX472, and may lose connection when the printer enters standby/low-power mode. Remove the printer from your printers list, then download and run the MP Driver from the MX472 Drivers & Downloads page.

If the printer is being installed on Mac OS, click on System Preferences, select Printers & Scanners, and select the printer, then click the [ - ] at the bottom of the list to remove it.  Once it's removed, click the [ + ] at the bottom of the list to open the Add window. If you get a single-column context menu, select Add New Printer or Scanner to open the correct window.  In the Add window, select the entry for Canon MX470 series listed with "IJ Network" or "Canon IJ Network" as the Kind.  Ensure the Use drop-down is set to Canon MX470 series, then click Add at the bottom of the window.

Announcements