cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems installing wireless connection to Pixma MX922

Slotibartfast
Apprentice

My installation was going just fine until the disk tried to install my drivers for the Pixma MX922.  It just gets a few seconds into it and the installation fails at the "cleaning up shortcuts" message.  I've tired to reinstall a number of times, rebooting my computer in between trys. I also tried downloading the drivers from the Cannon site and the same problem happens during installation from those files. I have an HP Pavilion PC.  How can I get the drivers to load?  I have the same problem if I try to install the printer using a USB cable.  I'm at the end of my rope on this one.

15 REPLIES 15

Danny

Hi, Slotibartfast!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is ready to help by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Sorry for the confusion.  I'm running Windows 7.  Also, after my post, I tried to see if my computer would just find the printer using the Add A Printer function through Control Panel.  The computer found the printer but when I tried to add it, I got an Error 0x00000105 message.

Ramona
Authority

Hi Slotibartfast,

If you disable any antivirus or firewall software that is on your computer and then attempt to reinstall the printer, does it install successfully?

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Andybrown01
Apprentice

My brand new shiny MG5620 recognizes my LAN and will print from IPad and IPhone. However, my PC will only recognize the printer when it is USB wired. There is something going on with the desktop and I have tried many, many tweaks. This has happened before with a Lexmark so I know the PC is to blame. Yes, I've tried turning off firewalls, etc. You name it, I've tried it. There is one thing:  I update Windows manually and there are a slew of .NET updates I have not allowed. Could that possibly be the answer? 

I give.

Andybrown01,

Since the printer is being used via USB, the drivers will have to be removed and reinstalled for a wireless setup.  Disconnect the USB cable fromt he prniter and uninstall the MP Drivers for the printer.

Next, visit our website to download the latest drivers:

MG5620 Drivers & Software

If you continue to have difficulties, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for your response. I did figure out the resolution:

Acquire a 2-meter long USB cable with the correct connectors, insert one end into the printer port, and insert the other into a USB port on the PC. Secure the cable so as not to present a tripping hazard or ADA violation.

Works perfectly!!

The rest of the help tips are Bravo Sierra.

Peace out.

jrcorsey
Contributor

That link, like every other link to the main Canon Website, is down.  

So far the MG5620 does not appear to be a wireless printer.  A wireless scanner, sure.  Not printer.

Got myself a USB cable until Canon gets it's act together.

jrcorsey
Contributor

Found my solution on a Microsoft forum.  (who would have thought)

First, a bit of backstory:  when I attempted to install as a wifi printer, the install would complete, but at the last step, if I checked the setup log report, it contained the message "Network setup of the printer : failed"

The printer and router were in communication, and the Canon Driver Install program could see the printer on the network.  But I could not print, although I did manage to scan at one point.

I then noticed that no icon had been created under "Printers and Faxes" in Windows.

So i installed the printer as a USB.  Smooth sailing, icon created.

Reran the Setup program to switch from USB to Wifi.  Smooth install, again with the failure.  No more printing.

Found this on a Microsoft Forum:

"He had me open
printer properties and changed the port to CNBJN CanonBJ Network
port. It again failed to print. He had me go to printer properties and
un-check use printer offline. It then printed from my computer."

I re-installed as a USB printer (to restore the icon I had uninstalled (several times) trying other remedies).  Switched from virtual port to CanonBJ port.  "use printer offline" was not checked.  Still no love.  Repeated the whole deal, no change.

So I shrugged and unplugged the USB cable.  Spool activated, BEGAN TO PRINT WIRELESSLY.

So I suggest the following:

1)  Do not install from CD.  Download latest driver package from Canon (same installer, newer driver)

2)  Install as wireless first, to establish communication between router and printer.

3)  Install as USB, to create Windows printer icon and get it working.

4)  Choose CanonBJ Port from Printers and Faxes.

5)  Verify that "Use Printer Offline" is not checked.

6)  Unplug USB cable and print. 

Good luck!  Many people have struggled for months with this problem.  I struggled for 12 hours.  May our struggles prevent yours!

UGH.

So I can print, but I can no longer scan from the PC. 

If I tell the MX 5620 to scan, it scans and sends the file to the PC. 

The Canon Utility then refuses to acknowledge the file because the USB cable is unplugged.  I can use the file in other Windows utilities, however. 

The Windows utilities cannot initiate a scan because the MX5620 no longer has an icon in "Scanners and Cameras".

At this point it's clear that the problems originate with bungled Canon software. 

I'll post a workaround if I find one.

Announcements