Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Reputable Contributor

Re: Printer won't scan

Hi JSimm and leo2.

@JSimm, sometimes, OS updates cause drivers to become corrupted.  You may need to remove the printer, then uninstall the drivers (from the Apps & Features list; open it and search the list for Canon), then restart the computer (to clear the corrupt settings) before reinstalling it.  The latest drivers are available, free of charge, at the MB2720 Drivers & Downloads page.

@both If you haven't yet done so, download and install both the latest version of the drivers and (on Windows) the patch for network scanning.  They're available, free of charge, at the MF4880dw Drivers & Downloads page.  If you're on Mac OS, you may need to install the printer driver, then remove the printer and then re-register it with the Canon-produced drivers to ensure everything works together properly.

If you can scan from the computer but not from the printer, check that the computer's security software and the router's firewall are allowing communications.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Me too.  How do I fix it?  trying to scan from 3 different computers ... all same message

Highlighted
New Contributor

I've had this problem also - will print - will not scan as of this week afrer months of use.

I can get the scanner to work if i use the windows 10 scan app but not using the usual cannon software

Highlighted
New Contributor

I fixed my problem. After downloading the driver installation file for the 4880dw printer on windows 10 the printer began to print but would not recognize the computer I wished to scan to. After much google study with no clear result on how to solve the issue, I just happened to locate the original user software disk that came with the printer and was used to orignally connect my other computers successfully. I ran the software that included and apparently loaded the MF toolkit. Voila! my new computer was recognized for scanning on the printer.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I fixed my problem. After downloading the driver installation file for the 4880dw printer on windows 10 the printer began to print but would not recognize the computer I wished to scan to. After much google study with no clear result on how to solve the issue, I just happened to locate the original user software disk that came with the printer and was used to orignally connect my other computers successfully. I ran the software that included and apparently loaded the MF toolkit. Voila! my new computer was recognized for scanning on the printer.