cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer suddenly stopped working.

Erazor
Apprentice

My Canon MP970 is connected via a network cable directly to my pc network port. My printer was working fine until now it just doesnt print anymore. 

When i press print all i see is this:

Printer issue 2.jpg

When i check the Canon Network Scan utility, it displays this when searching:

Printer issue.jpg

I have connected the printer via a network cable to a laptop and it works fine there so its not the printer. Not sure what could have change on my PC for it to suddenly stop working.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks

Spec:

Windows 10 Pro x64 with all the latesst updates.

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"My Canon MP970 is connected via a network cable directly to my pc network port.  ...  ...  ... 

I have connected the printer via a network cable to a laptop and it works fine there so its not the printer. Not sure what could have change on my PC for it to suddenly stop working." 

-------------------------------------------------

Under ordinary circumstances, you shouldn't be able to use the same cable for both purposes: connecting a network client to a network port on a network switch, or connecting a netowrk client to a network port on another network client device, such as your laptop.

Connecting two network clients together requires what is known as a 'crossover' cable, which differs from a more conventional network CAT-5/6 cable because the crossover has two signal wires swapped, Tx and Rx.  Using the wrong type of cable should result in communication failure, which would appear to the network client as if the port has failed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I understand that but it was workign fine for months on end and suddenly it decides to not work anymore plus with the same cable it works ont he laptop.

I guess i can try it with a crossover cable but i dont understand why it would stop working all of a sudden. If its the cable that is the issue then it shouldnt have worked at all.

@Erazor wrote:

I understand that but it was workign fine for months on end and suddenly it decides to not work anymore plus with the same cable it works ont he laptop.

I guess i can try it with a crossover cable but i dont understand why it would stop working all of a sudden. If its the cable that is the issue then it shouldnt have worked at all.

Well, in that case, then I have misunderstood your scenario.  Under normal circumstances, a network cable used to connect two clients directly together will not work when it is then used to connect a client to a network switch.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements