cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG5400-Series Printer says it is not connected with my mac

cpc5
Apprentice

My printer is so unpredictable, and it shouldn't be. It says it is offline sometimes and it wont print no matter how many times i turn it off and turn it back on, restart my computer, etc. I print through wifi because i have a cannon MG5495 series and it is so frustrating needing to print something out one day for a class and it not work, but just magically it will start working the next day or day after. Any ideas as to why this might be happening or what I can do to fix this? I did not pay this much money for printer for it to only work sometimes. please please please help me!

16 REPLIES 16

Hello jmobley,

On your Mac, click on the apple in the upper left hand corner of the screen and then click on system preferences. Once in system preferences click on Printers and Scanners. In printers and scanners, click the + at the top of the list and and check if the printer shows up in the add printer window that appears. If the printer does not appear, it will mean the computer is unable to locate the printer on the network.

If the printer appears, you can select it and then you can click add. If it adds, you can try printing with the new connection to see if it responds. If it shows up but you can't add, you can try installing the printer drivers from the link provided HERE and then you can try adding again.

If the printer does not appear, you can check the printer's network settings from the operation panel <Status Monitor>  <Network Information>  <IPv4>  Select the setting to view  Check the settings. Check the printers IP address and open a web page on the Mac and type the 192.168.xxx.xxx/10.xxx.xxx.xxx address into your address bar. If it can't get to the address, you can try reconnecting using the steps provided HERE.

To assist furhter, we would need some more information to assist further. If you could reply to this message with the information below. We can provide more trouble shooting steps.

1. What version of the Mac operating system are you using at the moment?
  2. What is the printer's IPadress?
  3. Cano you print from any other device on your network?

LisaLaughon
Apprentice

Hello - I need some help with this same issue.  I'm on a Mac running OS Sierra Version 10.12.6.  My Canon ImageClass MF 644 Cdw is dropping from the network connection.  And I frequently get the message (including now):  the printer is not connected.  Please help.

carebear
Contributor

Same problem as everyone else. Brand new printer, printed at first but no more.

Printer shows up on router interface.

Printer is accessible through the remote UI

Mac printer options set to correct printer

Using MACOS 11.4

Dialog says printer offline.

Restarted printer

Installed latest Canon driver

Updated firmware

Router is 8 feet away from printer

restarted computer

Still not printing

Out of ideas and patience. 

Hi,

I recommend you contact Canon support at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM EST excluding holidays.

You will need to have a Canon account when you call. If you have not created account, please click HERE:

I have this exact same issue. ImageClass MF741C. It will work fine and then something changes and it goes into a "looking for printer" state when trying to print. EERO wireless network. It's as if the IP address changes and the only way to reattach the MAC is to delete and re-add the printer (which I have done 100 times by now). There has to be a simple fix to this issue that causes so many problems for so many people.

carebear
Contributor

After spending several hours on the phone with support where they were blaming my modem we finally gave up and hooked it up with a cable. Works fine that way but you are paying for a wireless printer that you can't use wireless with a MAC. Also you need to use the Canon scanning software, not the MAC OS if you want to scan properly.

gospaboy
Contributor

I have the same problem with the PIXMA TR8260 and TR3270, which is brand new. Will print once, and then the computer can't find the printer again — says it is "offline." I have added, deleted, re-added... gone through all the steps, including trying three new USB cables. Nothing has worked. Canon tech support had no answers. But I see that I am not alone here with dozens of users in this and other threads complaining of Canon connectivity. 

Not having this issue with Epson or Brother printers. 

Announcements