cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF733Cdw on LAN, but computers on network via wifi cannot connect (but can via lan)

ipWitan
Contributor

PCs connecting to the network via wifi cannot find the MF733 which is connected via ethernet, but they can when connected to the network via ethernet.

I have a MF733 connected to the router via ethernet. Computers on the LAN can see and print to the printer. However, PCs/laptops cannot find the printer when connected to the network via wifi. Specifically, a brand new Win10 computer with wifi6 build in, can find the printer when using the LAN, but when I unplug and try via wifi, it doesn't work. A Surface Notebook also cannot connect. But an older Sony laptop that is running an older build of Win10, can. While connected via wifi, the new machine can see all the devices on the network like the NAS, network cameras, other computers, router, etc., but not the printer.

What I have done:

MF733 is set to wired LAN with a static ip. (DCHP didn't work either). MF733 displays set IP address and works via the LAN.

For the PC, the network is set to "private" and discovery is "on". I actually made public and all networks discoverable. This is not a laptop, so it will always be home.

When the PC is on the wifi, the printer is displayed as "offline"

The router is a Verizon FIOS Gateway 1100G. I cannot find anything in Verizon or Fios about a setting for printers. The FIOS router did NOT display it as a printer by default. I changed it to a print, but don't think that means anything.

I did see something about the MF 733 not being able to receive via wfii above N, but I don't think that should matter here.

On the MF733, I haven't tried connecting the printer via wifi, but can. I have clicked around in the settings but I don't think I messed that part up.

There is a 48 port HP1810 gigabit switch. I don't know if the switch can be a factor.

1 REPLY 1

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello ipWitan,

If you are connecting the printer into a switch and not directly into the router that is putting out your wifi, that could be what is causing the issue. In this situation, I would suggest trying to connect the printer directly into your Fios router instead of the 48 port switch and then checking if the wifi connected devices in the network can see the printer.

If plugging the printer directly into the router did not work, I would suggest contacting our support team at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents will be able to go over all the network settings to see why the computer is unable to find the printer while it is connected via wifi.

Announcements