cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer not connecting to internet. SOS please

momo45867
Apprentice

My printer, (Canon mf850Cdw) was connected to the internent, even after we switch to dd-wrt router. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, the printer was not connected to the internet. I would try countless times to put the correct password in to no avail. it would only give me the error of, "connection failed check the PSK settings. I tried many things and I have no idea what to do now. I need help please.

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

3rd party FW  loaded on your router.  Can say with certainty what the problem might be.  

Are other devices able to connect?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

everything else we have can connects to the router. And could you please explain what you think is the problem and how to fix it? I didn't really understand what you mean

Greetings,

DD-WRT is a open source linux based 3rd party firmware that can be installed on routers from various manufaturers.  Linksys, netgear, and others, etc. 

It's a popular alternative to a manufacturers firrmware.  Like all software, it too can have bugs or inconsistencies which affects its reliability.  It can work well woith some things, but not so good with others.  It can also be difficult or impossible to remove and can end up "bricking" a device.  Most popllar 3rd party FW's are tomato, voxel and DD-WRT. 

From the limited information you provided, it sounds like your printer is not connected due to a security setting.  "PSK" is pre-shared key. 

You can read about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

In order for a connection to be successful, you must enter the passcode (pre-shared key) exactly as it appears on the router.  Its case sensative.  Both devices must also support the same standards and protocols.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi momo45867.

If you're getting a PSK (preshared key) error, double-check the wifi password entered.  Keep in mind, most wifi passwords are case-sensitive. Preshared Keys are a password/passphrase encoded with the SSID (a.k.a. network name).

You may also need to check the type of preshared key the router is using.  The MF8580Cdw supports only the WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK on standards TKIP or AES-CCMP.  I personally recommend WPA2, as it is the more secure protocol of the two, and a custom passphrase, as that is more secure than a preshared key.  Information about entering a wifi password or PSK in the printer may be found at the following page: 

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-0300-zz-SS-enUS/contents/SS8580_network178_settingupconnectionbyselec...

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements