cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX870 software

tar4heel2
Contributor

My printer is recognized and prints like it's supposed to, but I cannot scan because the software keeps crashing.  I'm on a MacBook Pro w/ OS Mojave 10.14.  How do I fix this?

6 REPLIES 6

John_B
Rising Star

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what Printer you are using and if you are connected via USB or WI-FI. That way, the community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and 8 PM ET.

Thanks!

Pixma mx870 printer.
Mac OS Mojave - MacBook Pro mid-2014.
WIFI - which has always worked for both scanning and printing.

Software always crashes and I cannot scan with the My Image Graden software, though the product description says it is supposed to work.

Hi tar4heel2,

Although Canon does not have updated drivers or software that were developed for use with the PIXMA MX870 when used under the Mac OS Mojave (10.14) operating system, you can try downloading and installing the Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan versions of the drivers and software from the Canon USA website here to see if this will allow you to scan under your operating system. 

You will want to download and install the CUPS, Scanner and ICA Drivers from the DRIVERS section of the webpage, and the MP Navigator program from the SOFTWARE section of the page.  If you are using the printer wirelessly, you will also want to install the Canon IJ Network Tool from the SOFTWARE section of the page. 

Prior to downloading the drivers, please ensure that the El Capitan operating system is selected in the "Operating System" field on the page so that drivers for that operating system are displayed.  Please also install the items in the order listed above.  Please be sure to install the Canon IJ Network Tool last if connecting the printer wirelessly.

Please note, since the El Capitan versions of the drivers and software were developed prior to Mojave being released, they may not work with the Mojaveoperating system.  Also, in the event that they do work, we cannot guarantee that they will work if a future Mac OS update or upgrade is installed on your Mac.

As an alternative, there is a third-party driver interface called VueScan from Hamrick Software that may provide functionality for the scanner to work with ImageCapture on your operating system.  More information regarding VueScan can be viewed here.  Once on the page, please scroll to the top of the page, then click on the red DOWNLOAD VUESCAN button to download the drivers. 

You also qualify for the Canon Upgrade Program.

This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. Free ground shipping is included with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 AM to midnight EST.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Greetings, and thanks in advance for any help you can render.  I have a 2010 (!) vintage Pixma MX870 which I registered when purchased via AMZN (long story: it was a gift to my late sister-in-law, then brought back here after she died a year ago, and I hadn't tried to set it up until now, as I have another Canon printer in use.)  I confirmed product registration on-line, but because of its age, it is no longer supported by Canon's phone-in help line.  Hence. this e-mail.  I've managed to get the machine properly set up, done routine maintenance tasks, and have it connected to my home Wi-Fi.  However, I'm unable to open the downloaded printer driver software, because my MacBook Air (circa 2014) defaults to "Unable to open because it's from an unauthorized source" or words to that effect.  Is there any way to download the latest printer driver software in a format that will allow my Mac to open and install it, so I can complete the wireless connection between my laptop and this printer?  I've added it to my Printer/Scanners shown in System Preferences, but can't get through the final connection final without a valid, openable printer driver.  Thanks!  -Bill S.

Hi wstigelman,

What version of OSX is installed on your Mac?

To determine this, please click on the Apple in the upper left hand corner and then About This Mac.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Patrick: Thanks for getting back to me.  The good news is, after spending ~5 hours yesterday afyernoon trying various approaches I found on the web, I finally managed to get my laptop to wirelessly connect to my printer.  Done deal!

Announcements