cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 keeps disconnecting from WiFi

AmberC
Apprentice

I have been using the Canon PRINT app so that I can scan documents. Both printing and scanning only worked once and then disconnected and won't reconnect. I have tried disabling the IPv6 setting on the printer, but it still disconnects from the app. 

18 REPLIES 18

BillS
Mentor

Hi AmberC,

Let's start by checking the printer's connection to the network.

You can print out the network settings of the machine such as its IP address and SSID.

1. Make sure that the machine is turned on.

2. Press the Setup button.

The Setup menu screen is displayed.

3. Use the button to select Device settings, then press the OK button.

4. Use the button to select LAN settings, then press the OK button.

5. Use the button to select Print LAN details, then press the OK button.

The LAN settings print.

Much of the information will not be relevant, but the important things to look at are:

1. Is the connection active or inactive?

2. Does the SSID (network name) match the one the computer uses?

3. What is the signal strength?

4. What is the IPv4 IP address?

I look forward to your reply.

After printing my Lan details my MX490, it says the connection is inactive, the SSID is correct, signal strength is 0%

and there is no IPV4 address. I would appreaciate any help. THANKS  

Hi oterry2,

Please try reconnecting your PIXMA MX490 to your network.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Press the SETUP button on your PIXMA MX490.

2. Use the left or right button to select Device Settings and press OK.

3. Use the left or right button to select LAN Settings and press OK.

4. Use the left or right button to select Wireless LAN Setup and press OK.

5. Press the STOP button.

6. Select Standard Setup and press OK.

7. Select your wireless network and press OK.

8. Enter your wireless network password and press OK. Please verify the password, as it is case sensitive and if entered

incorrectly, will cause the printer and router to not communicate. To switch between letters and numbers, press the * key.

9. Press <OK> on the confirmation screen. The PIXMA MX490 will search for the access point.

10. When found, press OK on the Connected to the access point screen.

Please note, Canon's Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback. If this is an urgent support need, please use the link below to reach our friendly Technical Support Team:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Tried this, doesn't work. 

Tactically solves the issue each time it happens.  But how do you stop these machines for constantly disconnecting to begin with.  It's a wireless connection, it's setup properly, it is sitting right next to the WIFI router, but after a few days when idle, printer decides to have amnesia.  Having to reconnect per this instruction whenever this happens is not user-firendly.  Please post how we address the root cause permanently.  

Mine disconnects in the middle of printing jobs.

I know this is an old post, but mine is having the exact same issue.  I've tried reconnecting it several times, but it keeps stating "Timing out" & will not go any further.  I have completed all the troubleshooting I have seen on here.  Do I just need to return it?  I completed the step I'm replying to about printing the Network Configuration Page.

It has the correct connection, 100% signal, it says the WEP Key length is inactive, & it says the connection is active.  I just cannot print anything, & it is still telling me it's not connected.

Hi haleyrenee56,

If SSID matches your network the the connection is Active and the signal is 100% then it looks like the printer is connected to your network with a strong signal.

Since the network pages shows the printer is connected, I recommend trying to access the printers remote user interface from the computer. This helps narrow down if the computer is having a issue communicating to the printer.

Please open a web browser on your computer, and in the address bar, please type the IP Address on the configuration page into the address bar. Next, tap Go or Enter to access the page. Are you able to see the printer's
remote interface?

If this is a time sensitive issue, please contact our support group at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Arthur, 

My printer has also been disconnecting time and time again, requiring me to reconnect it. But this time it just won't reconnect, despite all the old ways I've been doing it.

I printed off the Wireless LAN Configuration Page- the connection is Active, the SSID is correct, signal strength 100%, yet the WEP Key Length is Inactive.

How do I get this to work?

Announcements