cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 922 is "offline" following modem replacement

trishharris
Apprentice

I recently replaced our modem, but the router is the same.  I have always been able to print wirelessly from both the desktop and laptop comuters.  Since replacing the modem, my desktop computer (connected to the modem) now tells me the printer is "offline." I use Microsoft Windows 10 on a Lenovo computer.  I know the printer is visible on the network because I have no problem printing wirelessly from my laptop.  I can also print from the desktop computer if I connect to the printer via USB cable.  But that's not practical day to day because they are too far apart to keep the cable attached all the time.

So far I have...

Reconnected the printer to the network

Restarted the modem, router, and printer

Uninstalled the printer drivers and reinstalled from the original CD.  The drivers got installed, but the process halted when                   the network couldn't find the printer

Fiddled with the COM ports based on some online instructions

Called my internet provider who said it's probably a router issue but because it's not their router, they were not able to help

Looked through Canon's Community responses and tried some that were different from what I already tried and were                          within my skill comfort zone.  Nothing has worked.

Can anyone help??

3 REPLIES 3

spirestocks
Enthusiast
Go to this link, in a nutshell assign the printer to a static ip address above the DHCP dynamic range, there is also a YouTube video about this problem
Go to YouTube and search for how to fix offline problems setting up a static up address
https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Wireless-Networking/Mx920-Wireless-printing-problem/td-p/35599/pa...

@trisharris,

A modem replacement would not cause your printer to show as offline or disconnected.  The two do not interact and are unrelated.  Your router is the "conduit" on your network and what is respnsible for managing connectivity and communication between devices on your network.

@spirestock has made a good suggestion in regards to assigning your printer a static IP address.  If the IP of the printer changes on an ongoing basis, pther devices can have difficulties "finding" it as it will be a "moving target" or destination.

The good news is this, setting a static IP only has to be done once.  Its a set and forget procedure.

You can do it on your router, or the printer.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the follow up Rick!  Yes, once I assigned a static ip address to printer above DHCP range I have never had a problem, going on half a decade ago to this perceived problem that has effected so many people; yet, this one fix works.  Thanks again, Paul

Announcements