cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG5420 cannot connect to cloudprint

jstead1
Contributor

My MG5420 used to connect to cloudprint, but went offline. I tried deleting the printer and then reconnecting.

After the authentication page prints out, and I go to the website and complete the process, google has the printer as registered.  But my printer comes up with "Cannot connect to the server. Please wait a while and try again."

Since it gets the web address, I know it connects to the server.  I have done this fifteen times now and it is the same every time.

I tried it connecting through two different routers and my phone hotspot.  Always the same result.

This printer has been a big disappointment.  Need help from Canon.  Please support your products.

32 REPLIES 32

Tiffany

Hi Jstead1!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what Computer Operating System you're using. (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or Mac 10.x) 

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanonor by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

The printer is not hooked up to any computer.  It connects to the internet through a wireless router and should use cloudprint.  There are no drivers.

Canon and Google cannot seem to agree on how this is supposed to work (although google seems to get it to work with other printer mfg. so my guess is Canon has not correctly implemented the API).

Although the printer can connect to cloudprint to get the web address to verify the connection (each web adress is sent by google and is unique, so I know the printer can access google) it cannot connect the second time to verify the authentication from google.  I have searched the internet (including this forum) and the main thing I have found is that Canon's support of the Pixma printers is abysmal.  I would really like it if they could redeem themselves and support their products, but I don't hold out much hope.

I am having the exact same problem. I've had this printer working with Google Cloud Print for a year, and just yesterday it stopped working. The printer would show as offline even when it was on and its internet light indicated it was connected. I have tried 5 times to re-register, and each time it prints out the page with the registration URL, but afterwards it gives the error message that it cannot connect to the server and I need to try again later.

Canon needs to get its stuff together and fix this.

I also contacted their "24/7 service center" by e-mail.  If they give me a solution I will post it here, but based on my experience and other threads on the web, I don't hold out much hope..

Hi jstead1,

Canon has determined that a number of users are experiencing difficulties using Google Cloud Print with their products.  Canon is currently working on resolving this issue.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

My Canon Pixma MG5420 cannot connect to the Google cloud print server

What should I do to resolve this?

Hi cloudprintsucks,

Because of a change in Google server’s authentication method, Google Cloud Printing is not supported directly from the PIXMA MG5420.  To use Google Cloud Print, your PIXMA MG5420 would have to be connected to a Windows or Mac computer and set up as a "Classic Printer".  For further information, please use the following link:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1069693?hl=en

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Patrick,

While it is nice to have an option, there are some of us who do not have windows or mac in our homes.  It was bad enough that my Linux boxes do not print to this printer anylonger.  But now my chromebooks do not either.

There were updates to the firmware in the past (that I have applied using a friends computer) for this printer.  I find it frusturating and unacceptable that this issue has been fixed on other models and not on this one.

At this point I have to question weather or not I will ever purchase a canon product as it is clear that Canon is not standing behind this printer.

Is there anything else, other than steps using technologies I do not have (Windows, MacOS)  that Canon will take to keep me as a customer, or do I have to go to another vendor?

Announcements