Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Pixma MG5420 cannot connect to cloudprint

I experienced the loss of cloud print with my Canon printer also, and had a Canon model that there was no firmware upgrade to correct it.   It was very dissapointing as I was enjoying being able to cloud print from my Chromebook

After speaking with several techs at Canon, my conclusion was the loss of functionality was due to a change in the security authentication method that Google implemented after the printer was released.  For certain printer models, this one included, Canon could not implement a firmware upgrade to restore that functionality.  

I again contacted Canon techsupport.  There are only so many options level 1 support can offer.  I found by following their standard escalation protocol, asking for the case to be escalated to the next level, Canon was able to offer a resolution to my satisfaction.  I once again have a Canon printer that will Cloud Print, without a Windows computer or Classic setup, and I am very pleased with Canon.  It took some time and patience, but was worth it.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I also escalated the problem & finally landed back with the loyalty program staff, whose offer to me was a discounted printer of comparable quality, the MG7720. The discount was $2 less than Amazon's regular price. No apologies, no apparent appreciation of the frustration of buying a product advertised as compatible with Google Cloud Print and then finding that new security protocols established by Google render Canon's product useless. I liked the printer very much, but I can't imagine buying another Canon product after this.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I initially ended up with the loyalty department, and they offered a new model replacement at a price higher than Amazon.  I went back to support, asked to escalate to a manager.  Eventually, escalating up the support group to management, Canon did replace my printer that no longer cloud printed as advertise with one that did cloud print as advertised.  It took a lot of patience, but they eventually steped up and took responsibility.