cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG5420 cannot connect to cloudprint

jstead1
Contributor

My MG5420 used to connect to cloudprint, but went offline. I tried deleting the printer and then reconnecting.

After the authentication page prints out, and I go to the website and complete the process, google has the printer as registered.  But my printer comes up with "Cannot connect to the server. Please wait a while and try again."

Since it gets the web address, I know it connects to the server.  I have done this fifteen times now and it is the same every time.

I tried it connecting through two different routers and my phone hotspot.  Always the same result.

This printer has been a big disappointment.  Need help from Canon.  Please support your products.

32 REPLIES 32

I experienced the loss of cloud print with my Canon printer also, and had a Canon model that there was no firmware upgrade to correct it.   It was very dissapointing as I was enjoying being able to cloud print from my Chromebook

After speaking with several techs at Canon, my conclusion was the loss of functionality was due to a change in the security authentication method that Google implemented after the printer was released.  For certain printer models, this one included, Canon could not implement a firmware upgrade to restore that functionality.  

I again contacted Canon techsupport.  There are only so many options level 1 support can offer.  I found by following their standard escalation protocol, asking for the case to be escalated to the next level, Canon was able to offer a resolution to my satisfaction.  I once again have a Canon printer that will Cloud Print, without a Windows computer or Classic setup, and I am very pleased with Canon.  It took some time and patience, but was worth it.

I also escalated the problem & finally landed back with the loyalty program staff, whose offer to me was a discounted printer of comparable quality, the MG7720. The discount was $2 less than Amazon's regular price. No apologies, no apparent appreciation of the frustration of buying a product advertised as compatible with Google Cloud Print and then finding that new security protocols established by Google render Canon's product useless. I liked the printer very much, but I can't imagine buying another Canon product after this.

I initially ended up with the loyalty department, and they offered a new model replacement at a price higher than Amazon.  I went back to support, asked to escalate to a manager.  Eventually, escalating up the support group to management, Canon did replace my printer that no longer cloud printed as advertise with one that did cloud print as advertised.  It took a lot of patience, but they eventually steped up and took responsibility.

mg2
Contributor

We had the same problem with our MG6220, after it had been cloud printing fine previously.  We found on a Google forum that changing the DNS setting in the printer to a public DNS, 8.8.8.8 solved the problem.  It worked!!! nNothing else we tried previously solved the proglem

Thank you for the suggestion. I just tried it, but no dice. 😞

jstead1
Contributor
So Canon is "working" on the problem. I don't see any results yet. Is "working on" a euphamism for abandoning people who bought your printer in good faith?

T-Rex
Apprentice

This is pretty much my exact problem. Cloud printing worked fine for months, but seemed to go belly up a few days ago. After deleting the printer from Cloud Print, I'm trying to register the printer again, but get the "Cannot connect to server. Please wait a while and try again." message. This has been going on for over a day now. Has anyone here been able to fix this problem??? Please??? 

drewj1
Apprentice

Any update on this issue - this is extremely frustrating!

Cloudprint started working again for me on 7/11/2015.  I didn't do anything different, I reset the cloud settings on the printer and deleted all of the cloud print printers and re-registered.  I had done that many times previously and it didn't work.  This time, it did.

Cloudprint is broken again.  I have to tell you Canon, your product sucks, your customer service sucks, and I will NEVER buy another Canon product again. 

I would like to dump the printer in your CEOs drivewahy in 1000 pieces.

Announcements