cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG5420 cannot connect to cloudprint

jstead1
Contributor

My MG5420 used to connect to cloudprint, but went offline. I tried deleting the printer and then reconnecting.

After the authentication page prints out, and I go to the website and complete the process, google has the printer as registered.  But my printer comes up with "Cannot connect to the server. Please wait a while and try again."

Since it gets the web address, I know it connects to the server.  I have done this fifteen times now and it is the same every time.

I tried it connecting through two different routers and my phone hotspot.  Always the same result.

This printer has been a big disappointment.  Need help from Canon.  Please support your products.

32 REPLIES 32

teschoen
Apprentice

I am having the same issue.  I don't use cloud print much, but I do use it.  and Google Cloud Print is the reason I purchased this printer.

I AM able to get documents to print if I go to the printer and force it to check the queue.  However I am unable to share my printer via google cloud print to anybody.

I have read through pages and pages of issues on the google forum, where there was rumor of a firmware upgrade that fixed all this on other models of printers.  

I want to know when I can expect my printer to work as advertised at time of purchase (and how it used to work).  OR when I will get an accpetable replacement that does work as advertised.

Considering that GCP did work.  And worked well, and now does not.  I would say there is a breech in contract and that Canon needs to fix this ASAP.

Having the same problem and same experience. Have wasted nearly an hour of my life (forgive the dramatics) trying to fix this. Why no firmware upgrade for mg5420? Frustrating.

Hello.

Additional troubleshooting will have to be done to narrow down the causes of your issues. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I already contacted Canon support.  This was their reply (empasis is mine):

"Dear James Stead,

Thank you for contacting Canon product support.  I understand that you are experiencing an issue with using Google Cloud Printing with the PIXMA MG5420 and I will be able to provide more information regarding your inquiry.

Since the middle of June, 2015, a phenomenon has been seen where printer registration or printing cannot be performed in Google Cloud Print. It is due to change of the Google servers authentication method.

Solution:
No measures are planned for the printer
To resolve the phenomenon, the printer firmware needs to be upgraded. However, the firmware upgrade cannot be performed due to the printer capabilities.

Workaround:
By connecting the printer to the internet using a PC, you can use Google Cloud Print without the phenomenon.
For details, visit Google Cloud Print home page, then go to "Cloud Ready Printers," "Add a Classic printer," and "Connect your classic printer."

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Canon."

I didn't buy a "classic" printer, I bought a cloud ready printer.  Canon took that away.  Now I consider Canon a "classic printer company" and I am not interested in classic printers.  I bought a Brother, problem solved.

It is disappointing that Canon has chosen not to have a firmware upgrade for the MG4220, MG5422, MG6220, MG8220, and MX892 inkjet printers to resolve this "phenomenon" .  Setting up as a 'Classic Printer" connected to a Windows computer doesn't help those using a Chromebook or Android device and with no Windows computer.

After waiting months for a resolution, it was nice to get the notification from Canon this week and hear some models have a firmware upgrade that restores the original cloud print functionality, but very discouraging to those of us who have the Canon Could models that there is no update to resolve the problem.  

Unfortunately, the solution of 'Classic Printing' through a Windows computer is not an option for some of us.  My Canon printer was advertised and purchased as a cloud printer.  Cloud printing didn't mean I also needed to have a Windows computer to be able to print.  

I called Canon Product Loyalty 1877-359-6780 and the recommendation was to buy a new model, MG6620, from them.  The discounted price they offererd was more than that printer sells for on Amazon.  

Hopefully a firmware update, or an acceptable solution other than Classic Printing, will follow from Canon for the remaining Cloud printer models that don't have the full cloud print resolution

ME too. 5420. Any resolution for anyone?

I have the MG5420. Will Canon replace it since it is no longer cloud ready to print from my chromebook. Sounds like the fix is that it has to be connected to a computer? I didn't buy it to have to connect it to a computer!

I've sent 2 emails in the past two weeks, at the recommendation of Canon's Canon Product Loyalty (1877-359-6780).  I haven't received a response.  Maybe it isn't the right department to contact.

I'm hoping Canon will stand behind their advertised Cloud Printing feature for us.  It would seem appropriate to have a fix to restore funtionality for our models, or a replacement option..

mg2
Contributor

I sent an email to canon at carecenter@cits.canon.com <carecenter@cits.canon.com>;.

I received the following response within 4 hours.  I tried this work-around method of Cloud Printing, and it worked.  It is more steps than the original Cloud Print capablility the printer once had, but it works and doesn'tt require a Windows computer to be connected to the printer for 'classic print'

Even thought the printer shows 'offline', I was able to 'pull' the job from the queue using the method below I received in the email from Canon technical support:

+++++

Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding the Google Cloud Print issues with the PIXMA MG6220.

I understand you are unable to print from your Chromebook and Android device via Google Cloud Print. I understand this is frustrating to have it work one way previously, and then change so that it does not. Google Cloud Print is a Beta service, and as such, is constantly having changes made to the service that have affected usage and reliability. Recently, they applied a significant security protocol update that essentially changed how their servers authenticated registered units. In order to make our printers fully compatible again, a firmware update would be required. You noted that this particular unit, along with several others, are not going to receive a firmware update. This is due to the age and technical limitations of the models; they are physically unable to be updated to the new standard.

Now, that is not to say that you are without options. Is the printer still registered, but listed as offline? If so, you can select the offline unit and select print, putting a job in the queue. Once the job is queued, you can then manually pull queued jobs from the Google Cloud Print server using the 'Start Cloud Print" selection from the operation panel. The instructions on how to do so are listed below.

1. Confirm that the printer is turned on.

2. In the [HOME] screen, select [Special Print].

3. Select [Start Cloud Print], and touch the OK button.

4. The message is displayed asking if you would like to connect to the server to check for the print data.
Select [Yes] using the up or down cursor button, and touch the OK button.

5. When print data exists, it will be received and printed by the printer.

Next, you mentioned that you were using Google Cloud Print to print from your Android device. Do you know what version of Android you have? Depending on the version, you may be able to use the Canon Print Service or the Canon Print Inkjet/Selphy app to print from your phone instead. You should be able to check the Android version from your Settings app, under a section that will say something along the lines of  'About this Device.' If you reply with the version of Android your phone is running I'd be happy to give you instructions on how to utilize the wireless printing functionality without using Google Cloud Print.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Mary
Technical Support Representative

I just started having this same issue today. I've power cycled the printer multiple times, and reset the printer to default settings to no avail. I used to do exactly what mg2 above is describing. That was the only way I could print. Today that stopped working. Now I just get a "Cannot connect to server" error. That first came up when I tried printing and now I can't register with google cloud. I just get the error everytime I try.

I'm pissed because I just spent $50 on new ink cartridges and I can't use them. I really need the color printer I purchased to actually print from my chromebook before my lab tomorrow at 2pm.

Announcements