cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG5420 WiFi connection problem

Hal2k
Contributor

The WiFi (WLAN) set-up works good all day after it starts.   But overnight when the printer is inactive it looses it.  When trying to print first thing in the morning I have to re-configure it using the "Standard Setup" method which involves typing in my WiFi password (a long and cumbersome process).  This machine is new (only 3 days old) and maybe this problem will eventually go away, but it hasn't for the last two mornings.   Anybody have this problem?  If so, how to fix?  Thanks.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Hal2k,

Yea, unfortunately you can't attach a word document or a text file, just a picture or video, but the 54% you are getting can definately account for the issues you are having.  Optimally you want that number to be around 70 to 80% if not better.  If at all possible I'd recommend moving the printer closer to where the router is, but if that's not possible you can try two things, one would be to access your router settings and try changing the wireless channel that your router transmits on.  If you are in an apartment complex or if you are in a neighborhood with other people who have strong enough wireless routers their signals can be overlapping yours causing signal loss and switching to a less crowded channel will help that.  If moving the printer or the router so that they are closer to eachother is not an option, your other option would be to purchase a wirelses extender that will strengthen the connection between your printer and router.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55

Hi JJo,

With some routers, if activity is not detected on a device after a set period of time, the device will be removed from the routing table. When the printer enters standby, it also enables discontinuous reception to save power. This might cause the printer to be disconnected from the router when you attempt to print again.

To disable this feature:

1. Select Setup on your printer's operation panel
  2. Select Device Settings
  3. Select  LAN Settings
  4. Select Other settings
  5. And then Wireless LAN DRX setting
  6. Set this option to Disabled

If the device is still disconnected after a long period of inactivity, I recommend contacting your router manufacturer for some additional options or settings you can change within the router itself.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

My Airprint will only connect for about 10 seconds. This is so annoying

Upgrade your router to wireless N. It needs the newer technology for a stronger wireless signal.

This is a reply to JJo's 9-13-2013 post in which JJo suggested disabling the printer's Wireless LAN DRX setting.

My Canon MG6320 has the same problem as the OP of this thread: After hours of printer inactivity, the printer won't print. (Nor will it scan from the pc's Canon utility software.)

Disabling the printer's Wireless LAN DRX setting did not solve the problem.

The only "solution" that works for me has been to turn the printer off and on. The print job that was stuck in the print queue automatically resumes and prints okay. (Turning it off & on also re-enables the ability to scan.)

But this workaround appears to waste ink (and it's a little inconvenient).  So I hope someone will suggest a genuine fix.  My bet is that Canon will need to provide a firmware update for the printers.

While the printer is in its buggy disconnected state, its menu shows it still thinks it's connected, and it still shows the correct IP address.

Another troubleshooting step I may try is to re-enable the wifi router's SSID radio beacon. The router broadcasts the beacon by default, but I keep the beacon off for extra security. (I disabled the beacon after the printer's initial connection succeeded.  The printer seems to remember the router details okay.)  Because turning the printer off & on causes the printer to reconnect, it demonstrates that the beacon shouldn't be needed, but if the printer firmware is buggy I suppose anything is possible.

This is a followup to my message of a few days ago.

In my earlier message I wrote that I would test whether the wifi router's SSID beacon needs to be enabled.  My test shows that the wifi router's SSID beacon is irrelevant.  The printer disconnects after inactivity regardless of whether the SSID beacon is enabled. 

I'm currently trying to determine when the printer disconnects... Does it only happen during the night as some people have written, or will it also happen after hours of inactivity regardless of the time of day?  I will update this message or post a new message when my tests provide the answer. (UPDATE on 8-21-2014: The result of that test: Hours of inactivity cause the printer disconnection.  It doesn't matter whether it's overnight or during the day.)

I'm also testing another setting in the printer.  It failed to solve the problem when I tried Canon's suggestion of disabling the printer's Wireless LAN DRX setting, but I noticed the printer also has a LAN DRX setting, so I've disabled both to see if that helps.  I'll post the result. (UPDATE on 8-21-2014: The result of that test: Disabling the LAN DRX setting didn't help either.)

By the way, before I reinstalled the printer as wireless (about a week ago) it operated okay as a USB-connected printer.  (Switching from USB to wireless was more complicated than it ought to be: the Canon software needed to be completely reinstalled and the customized scan settings of the USB installation weren't copied.  I think Canon should find a better way to switch between USB, wireless and LAN connections... ideally by a single "virtualizing" printer driver & port that can find and communicate with the printer no matter how it's connected.  If they can't do that, they should at least provide a software tool that can switch from one connection type to another without needing to reinstall the printer software.)

On the chance that the "printer disconnection after inactivity" problem might be related to the switch from USB to wireless, can anyone confirm they have the problem after solely installing as a wireless printer (without ever having installed as a USB printer nor as a wired LAN printer)?  If it turns out that everyone with the problem initially had their printer connected via USB or wired LAN, perhaps the solution is to completely uninstall the Canon software before reinstalling as a wireless printer... in other words, maybe a bug in Canon's software causes it to get confused about the type of connection if vestiges of the previous installation remain.

I may have solved the problem.  Two days ago I used Windows' Control Panel's "Programs and Features" to uninstall all Canon-related software, and then reinstalled the wireless printer.  Since then, no problems.

Assuming the problem has been solved, I suspect the problem is caused by Canon's software engineers' incompetence at letting the user switch the printer from a USB installation to a wireless installation.  If it's necessary to uninstall the USB installation software before (re)installing the printer as a wireless printer, then the Canon documentation needs to mention it.

Perhaps I uninstalled more software than necessary.  There were about 8 different Canon items installed.  Uninstalling all of them lost my preferences and the printing presets I'd saved (during the months the printer had been connected via USB).

In my opinion, uninstalling the USB installation shouldn't be required.  The driver ought to be redesigned so it will detect the printer no matter how the printer is connected.

UPDATE (2014-08-25): No, the above failed to solve the problem... yesterday the printer again failed to stay connected after inactivity.  However, I stand by my opinion regarding the unnecessary difficulty switching from USB to wireless.

Hi there, has anyone found a solution to this, yet?  I am having the same problem on two Canon printers.  One is an older MP620 that worked fine for a number of years but a few months ago started losing its wifi connection after inactivity.  The other is a MG7120 that i bought a few days ago thinking perhaps it was just time for the old one to be replaced (on a side note, it's pretty sad when you can upgrade to a new printer for only slightly more than the cost of replacing the ink cartridges in the old one!).

Needless to say, I'm having the same problem with the new printer.  I am using an iMac and apple router and the printer is less than six feet away, lots of signal strength.  I thought perhaps it was a problem caused by one of the OS updates, but it sounds like it happens with Windows computers, as well, so more likely a problem with the printer drivers?

BTW, the old printer had been connected both by USB and wirelessly during its life, but the new one has never been connected via USB.

@Another_Victim wrote:

I may have solved the problem.  Two days ago I used Windows' Control Panel's "Programs and Features" to uninstall all Canon-related software, and then reinstalled the wireless printer.  Since then, no problems.

Assuming the problem has been solved, I suspect the problem is caused by Canon's software engineers' incompetence at letting the user switch the printer from a USB installation to a wireless installation.  If it's necessary to uninstall the USB installation software before (re)installing the printer as a wireless printer, then the Canon documentation needs to mention it.

Perhaps I uninstalled more software than necessary.  There were about 8 different Canon items installed.  Uninstalling all of them lost my preferences and the printing presets I'd saved (during the months the printer had been connected via USB).

In my opinion, uninstalling the USB installation shouldn't be required.  The driver ought to be redesigned so it will detect the printer no matter how the printer is connected.

UPDATE (2014-08-25): No, the above failed to solve the problem... yesterday the printer again failed to stay connected after inactivity.  However, I stand by my opinion regarding the unnecessary difficulty switching from USB to wireless.

I seem to have stumbled on a solution.  I was looking for a better workaround than turning the printer off and on (which wastes time and ink).  It occurred to me to check whether the printer would wake up if one of its internal settings is modified using the printer's web interface.  The printer's web interface, which can be reached by entering the printer's IPv4 address into a web browser, works even when it won't print or scan.  While I was looking at the various settings trying to decide which one to modify for this test, I noticed that the printer's "Location" setting was blank, so I entered a value into that field and saved it.  That caused the printer to function properly. 

Since then, the printer hasn't had a problem, even after days of inactivity.

I hope this works for other people.  After I posted this last night in a similar Canon forum ("Mx920 Wireless printing problem") another user replied that it is working for him/her too. (But s/he hasn't tested it long enough to be sure, in my opinion).  Please post here whether or not it solves the problem for you.

Good luck!

Many thanks, this method ( entering a location into the online setup details) finally made the printer visible to my MacBook Air!

This top was greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately, I am back to the problem! The printer is connected to my wifi network, and prints from the iPad - but my MacBook Air claims the printer is not connected and does not print.
Any help would be appreciated!
Announcements