cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG5220 & Catalina

dyusem
Apprentice

Hello, I had a hard drive failure in an iMac and while replacing the SSD I also upgraded to the Catalina OS (10.15.6). When I tried to connect it (sys pref > printers & scanners > add a printeradd a printer) to the printer via wireless, the printer was not visible to the iMac

Other computers are able to see/print to the printer.

I then powered down the router and powered it up. No change.

I then disconnect the printer's LAN and re-connected it. No change.

I've looked for drivers but Canon says that there are none.

What are the next steps to troubleshoot?

Cheers!

2 REPLIES 2

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi dyusem,

The MG5220 is not compatible with the Catalina operating system. The last driver made for the Mac OS was for OS X High Sierra 10.13.

Since your printer is not compatible with your new operating system, you qualify for the Canon Upgrade program.

This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. Free ground shipping is included with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 mon-Sat, 9 AM to 9pm EST. Let them know the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the information although I'm very unsure why a firmware update or new driver couldn't suffice as the machine is still functioning perfectly (in Windows 10) and I have a decent ink supply for this model that I would prefer not to waste. As a product marketer, I can assure you that this is not a great customer experience.

It is made worse by long wait times to speak withyour upgrade department...and when I finally got through, the replacement model (#TS6320) which Canon lists for $129.99 and offers for $80.99 (+ sales tax + shipping) in the upgrade offer is out of stock

A cost of ~$100 to upgrade a perfectly good printer makes no sense so my loyalty to Canon is being tested. If you guys could make the "upgrade" hardware available for $49.99, I'd gladly wait for stock and eat the cost of implementing new replacement tanks for my machines. Not a very good razor / razor blade secenario IMHO.

So, to conclude, unless you have a Canon TS or TR series printer, if you installl Mac OS Catalina, your printer will not function with your computer. I don't say this often, but thanks to Windows 10, this won't affect my business operations in the short term but I like being redundent so I will find another "upgrade" solution.

Shesh, I've always been happy with Canon hardware but I'm now unsure that Canon has consumers (or the earth's) best interest in mind. While I don't think that it is unusual corporate behavior, it is very shortsighted and I'm very unsure that I will purchase another Canon printer.

So if anyone has any ideas for a consumer (mid grade or possibly higher) everyday device (print & scan only), I'm all ears. Good luck to all that find themselves in this position!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements