cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG3620: Can't make wifi connection between printer and computer

JoobieDoobie
Apprentice

I puchased the MG3620 and installed/connected it by wifi to my daughter's computer with no problem at home. Yesterday, when we moved our daughter into her college dorm, I was unable to connect(?) the two. The computer detected the printer, but we couldn't get it to print anything. The printer panel (OS Windows) indicated the MG3620 was designated the default printer and that there was a document in the queue because we tried to print something to test it. The wifi light on the printer was lit; however, I'm not sure which network it connected to, because there were several available networks and the MG3620 has no screen to tell me which network it was connected to. Is it possible the printer is connected to another network? If it is, how do I connect it to the same network that the computer is connected to? I think the network that the computer's connected to is the one my daughter's supposed to use; I think the others are for guests, maybe. Can anybody make some sense out of this? I went through all of Canon's instructions for wifi hookup for the MG3620 that I could find on their website but couldn't find what I needed. I was unable to get through to technical support and now they're not open until Monday. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

College Dorms and Wi-Fi.

Unless your daughters room has its own Wi-Fi network you would not want to connect the printer to the dorms wi-fi.  Why..??  because it won't be secure and any device connecting to that network would be able to see and send jobs to the printer. 

In this case, she should consider using a USB cable or direct Wi-Fi (adhoc) connection to the printer.  This way she is the only one who can print to the device.

See this .PDF

http://downloads.canon.com/wireless/setup_mg3620_win.pdf

There are 3 connection options:

USB

Wi-Fi

Wi-Fi Direct

In brief.

USB, her computer has to be connected to the printer via USB cable when she wants to print.  Benefit, most secure

Wi-Fi, her computer and printer are connected to the dorm's wi-fi (but) so is everyone else.  Other's will be able to see the printer and send jobs to it without her consent.  Benefit, most convienent, Con: Least secure.  If someone wants to mess with her, they could send thousands of print jobs to the device day and night.  

Wi-Fi direct, she connects her computer directly to the printer wirelessly.  Note, this method allows wireless connectivity bewteen the devices, but she cannot access the internet via wireless when her computer is connected to the printer.  Benefit: Also secure.  Con: while she doesn't have to be physically tethered to the device via a cable, she will have to disconnect from the dorm wireless and associate her computer with the printer in order to print.

You are going to need this regardless of what you decide:

http://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAwNjY5MDAx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Its the installation software for the device. Since you will be changing the connection type, I suggest uninstalling the printer and its software (and restart) before re-instaling the printer and chosing the desired connection type. 

Use the above information to make an informed decision about the best connection method, that will fit her needs and situation.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

College Dorms and Wi-Fi.

Unless your daughters room has its own Wi-Fi network you would not want to connect the printer to the dorms wi-fi.  Why..??  because it won't be secure and any device connecting to that network would be able to see and send jobs to the printer. 

In this case, she should consider using a USB cable or direct Wi-Fi (adhoc) connection to the printer.  This way she is the only one who can print to the device.

See this .PDF

http://downloads.canon.com/wireless/setup_mg3620_win.pdf

There are 3 connection options:

USB

Wi-Fi

Wi-Fi Direct

In brief.

USB, her computer has to be connected to the printer via USB cable when she wants to print.  Benefit, most secure

Wi-Fi, her computer and printer are connected to the dorm's wi-fi (but) so is everyone else.  Other's will be able to see the printer and send jobs to it without her consent.  Benefit, most convienent, Con: Least secure.  If someone wants to mess with her, they could send thousands of print jobs to the device day and night.  

Wi-Fi direct, she connects her computer directly to the printer wirelessly.  Note, this method allows wireless connectivity bewteen the devices, but she cannot access the internet via wireless when her computer is connected to the printer.  Benefit: Also secure.  Con: while she doesn't have to be physically tethered to the device via a cable, she will have to disconnect from the dorm wireless and associate her computer with the printer in order to print.

You are going to need this regardless of what you decide:

http://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAwNjY5MDAx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Its the installation software for the device. Since you will be changing the connection type, I suggest uninstalling the printer and its software (and restart) before re-instaling the printer and chosing the desired connection type. 

Use the above information to make an informed decision about the best connection method, that will fit her needs and situation.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you SO much! We're going to connect the printer and computer via USB. Have a great day!
Announcements