cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that Google Cloud Print is going away how do I get my MX922 to connect to my Chromebox wireless

Toolfriend
Contributor

Now that Google cloud print is going away how do I get my MX922 to connect wirelessly. I have been through all the steps but the MX922 is not listed as a choice. Is there another printer that is close to the MX922 that I could select in its place?

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Okay, I downloaded an Chromebook emulator (CloudReady) to see if there were differences from my Chromebook.  It looks like there were.

I don't know which version you've got but if it's more like the instructions from the mod, which is what the CloudReady emulator was like, then we need to modify the install a little from what I said in my post.

So, follow the mods install instructions and at step 6 it should show a popup named "Add a printer manually" with all the fields mentioned in the mods post.  You'll need to put a printer name ("Canon MX922" or whatever you want to see when you go to print) and the IP address of your printer on your network.  The IP address is important and must be set correctly for things to work.  Check your printer if you don't know it and keep in mind that it can always change depending on how your network is configured so you may need to update this in the future.  Leave Protocol to IPP and Queue to ipp/print.  Click ADD.

At this point you'll get to the "Advanced printer configuration" screen.  You can go back and follow the instructions I gave for this earlier since it's the same from here on.  In short, leave the Manufacturer and Model blank and browse to get PPD file.  ADD the printer and you should be finished.  A new printer should appear with whatever name you gave it ("Canon MX922" or whatever).

The emulator seemed to support more features, like duplex printing, than my actual Chromebook so maybe things will work with these different instructions?

View solution in original post

OMG! You are a genius. Works perfectly. How will I ever thank you? It has been so long. Bless you. I could not figure why I could print from the Canon Print App on my phone perfectly but not connect from my Asus CN62 Chromebox. I just ordered a new Asus Chromebox 4. I hope your PPD works from that. Again Thank you so much. You are the best!

View solution in original post

51 REPLIES 51

Hi again, I went thru all your instructions and still no print. I checked, and the printer is on the same network. I only have one. I added the printer, and the popup dialog shows printing, but the printer does not print. I am stymied. I feel like I am close, but no cigar. I printed all the LAN settings, and it is active and connected to my access point (I did it all again). The printer dialog shows all the proper settings like page size, pages to print, etc. I get the popup notification that the printer is printing but nothing. What could I be doing wrong? Thank you again so much for helping.

Well this is no good.  Clearly there's a hiccup somewhere.  I'm going to go over everything on my side to see if there's something I missed.  I'll post an update if I find something.

Okay, I downloaded an Chromebook emulator (CloudReady) to see if there were differences from my Chromebook.  It looks like there were.

I don't know which version you've got but if it's more like the instructions from the mod, which is what the CloudReady emulator was like, then we need to modify the install a little from what I said in my post.

So, follow the mods install instructions and at step 6 it should show a popup named "Add a printer manually" with all the fields mentioned in the mods post.  You'll need to put a printer name ("Canon MX922" or whatever you want to see when you go to print) and the IP address of your printer on your network.  The IP address is important and must be set correctly for things to work.  Check your printer if you don't know it and keep in mind that it can always change depending on how your network is configured so you may need to update this in the future.  Leave Protocol to IPP and Queue to ipp/print.  Click ADD.

At this point you'll get to the "Advanced printer configuration" screen.  You can go back and follow the instructions I gave for this earlier since it's the same from here on.  In short, leave the Manufacturer and Model blank and browse to get PPD file.  ADD the printer and you should be finished.  A new printer should appear with whatever name you gave it ("Canon MX922" or whatever).

The emulator seemed to support more features, like duplex printing, than my actual Chromebook so maybe things will work with these different instructions?

OMG! You are a genius. Works perfectly. How will I ever thank you? It has been so long. Bless you. I could not figure why I could print from the Canon Print App on my phone perfectly but not connect from my Asus CN62 Chromebox. I just ordered a new Asus Chromebox 4. I hope your PPD works from that. Again Thank you so much. You are the best!

YAY!!!  I'm super happy this worked. Smiley Very Happy

Why are you not working for Google? Or Canon, for that matter. None of them knew the answer, and then you came along to save me. I would've had to buy a new printer, and I searched for recommended printers that work with a Chromebox, but I could find no recommendations other than CloudPrint. So again, thank you.

Let me know if I can return the favor sometime. I don't know how but like a job reference or something. Let me know.

Hi You,

I just wanted you to know I had to reset up the printer on my new Chromebox 4, and it is working perfectly. I am so glad I saved the PPD file to Drive. Works great. Thank you so much!

I was upset, like I imagine a lot of people were, when Google shut down printing with no real solution offered in its place.  I was also upset when Canon failed to offer some way to print on Chromebooks like they do on Android or at least offer the PPD file.

So I am happy that the file I gave you is working and on all your computers at that.  That makes it worth the effort.

Hi, 

I have the same printer - Canon Pixma MX922.  Would really appreciate if you could please PM me the ppd file. Many thanks in advance !

Regards

Sorry, I'm not going to be much help. Not sure where that file is if I have it at all. I think what I did was follow the instructions by shadowsports posted on 12/13/20 and then followed what mc2021 posted on 3/11/21. That got my printer working, but not always perfectly. Sometines it would print in landscape but not portrait. Other times it printed only the left side of the page. You might have better luck. What you need is someone a lot smater than I am. 🙂 The situation sucks to say the least.

Announcements