Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Now that Google Cloud Print is going away how do I get my MX922 to connect to my Chromebox wireless

Now that Google cloud print is going away how do I get my MX922 to connect wirelessly. I have been through all the steps but the MX922 is not listed as a choice. Is there another printer that is close to the MX922 that I could select in its place?

Thank you

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Now that Google Cloud Print is going away how do I get my MX922 to connect to my Chromebox wirel

[ Edited ]

Greetings,

While some printers are similar, you cannot  use models interchangeably.    

Connect your MX922 to your wireless network.

I suggest you assign it a static IP or reserve and IP for the printer on your router.  This step is important as you don't want its IP to change.  (Only needs to be set once).

Now add the printer as an IP based printer. 

1. At the bottom right, select the time.
  2. Select Settings .
  3. At the bottom, select Advanced.
  4. Under "Printing," select Printers.
  5. Next to "Add printer," select Add printer .
  6. Enter your printer information:
    • Name: Enter any name.
    • Address: Enter your printer’s IP address.
    • Protocol: For most printers, the supported connection protocol is IPP.
    • Queue: For most printers, the queue is ipp/print.
  7. Select Add.
~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2(v1.1.0) ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ~Pixma Pro-100 ~ImageClass MF644Cdw ~LBP622dw
Occasional Contributor

Re: Now that Google Cloud Print is going away how do I get my MX922 to connect to my Chromebox wirel

Thank you Rick for getting back to me. I appreciate your help. I have gone thru this many times as you suggest but it always ends up with Google wanting more details on my printer and asked for the model number which is not shown. I don't have a PPD file. What to do next?

Thank you, again

Occasional Contributor

MX922 will not work even connected by USB

After all the fun with trying to get my MX922 connected to Chrome wirelessly, I gave up and purchased a USB cable. No luck there either. Chrome wants me to select the printer from a list but the MX922 is not listed. I wish I could select another model that would work but no luck there either. Any suggestions or do I have to buy another printer. It sure will not be Canon. This is the second printer I had to purchase to print with Google Cloud printing and now that is going away so I have to purchase another one or just use a memory stick. Crazy and perfect for 2020.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have created, using some Mac tools, a PPD file for the MX922.  It's very basic.  Not all features works like duplex printing.  It's really a trial and error sort of thing but at this point being able to print something is better than nothing at all.  I can print most things just fine using US Letter in both color or black&white.  All I can say is give it a try.

It's at my Dropbox.

[link disabled per forum guidelines]

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

The link you sent is disabled in this forum. How else can I get your PPD file for the Canon?

Occasional Contributor

I sent you a private message.
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much. I still cannot print. I tried Wireless and a USB connection, but no luck. It sets up alright and shows a dialog message when printing, but the printer does not respond. I had hope, and it looked really good, maybe because I have the MX922 printer. Thank you for trying for me.

Occasional Contributor

Hmmm.  I also have the MX922.

Did you follow the instructions earlier in this thread because they're not quite right for us.

When you go to add the printer, after step 5 when you click ADD PRINTER, a dialog should appear saying "Add a nearby printer" and "Canon MX920 Series" should appear there (if not the Chromebook isn't detecting your printer on the same network).  Click it to select it then click ADD.

The "Advanced printer configuration" should appear. Do NOT fill out anything in the Manufacturer or Model fields.  Just click the Browse button, locate and select the PPD file and click OPEN.  Click ADD one more time and you should be finished.  A little popup should appear stating the printer was added.

If you decide to give this another try removing any non-working printer configurations you may have created and are sitting around.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi again, I went thru all your instructions and still no print. I checked, and the printer is on the same network. I only have one. I added the printer, and the popup dialog shows printing, but the printer does not print. I am stymied. I feel like I am close, but no cigar. I printed all the LAN settings, and it is active and connected to my access point (I did it all again). The printer dialog shows all the proper settings like page size, pages to print, etc. I get the popup notification that the printer is printing but nothing. What could I be doing wrong? Thank you again so much for helping.