cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that Google Cloud Print is going away how do I get my MX922 to connect to my Chromebox wireless

Toolfriend
Contributor

Now that Google cloud print is going away how do I get my MX922 to connect wirelessly. I have been through all the steps but the MX922 is not listed as a choice. Is there another printer that is close to the MX922 that I could select in its place?

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Okay, I downloaded an Chromebook emulator (CloudReady) to see if there were differences from my Chromebook.  It looks like there were.

I don't know which version you've got but if it's more like the instructions from the mod, which is what the CloudReady emulator was like, then we need to modify the install a little from what I said in my post.

So, follow the mods install instructions and at step 6 it should show a popup named "Add a printer manually" with all the fields mentioned in the mods post.  You'll need to put a printer name ("Canon MX922" or whatever you want to see when you go to print) and the IP address of your printer on your network.  The IP address is important and must be set correctly for things to work.  Check your printer if you don't know it and keep in mind that it can always change depending on how your network is configured so you may need to update this in the future.  Leave Protocol to IPP and Queue to ipp/print.  Click ADD.

At this point you'll get to the "Advanced printer configuration" screen.  You can go back and follow the instructions I gave for this earlier since it's the same from here on.  In short, leave the Manufacturer and Model blank and browse to get PPD file.  ADD the printer and you should be finished.  A new printer should appear with whatever name you gave it ("Canon MX922" or whatever).

The emulator seemed to support more features, like duplex printing, than my actual Chromebook so maybe things will work with these different instructions?

View solution in original post

OMG! You are a genius. Works perfectly. How will I ever thank you? It has been so long. Bless you. I could not figure why I could print from the Canon Print App on my phone perfectly but not connect from my Asus CN62 Chromebox. I just ordered a new Asus Chromebox 4. I hope your PPD works from that. Again Thank you so much. You are the best!

View solution in original post

51 REPLIES 51

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

While some printers are similar, you cannot  use models interchangeably.    

Connect your MX922 to your wireless network.

I suggest you assign it a static IP or reserve and IP for the printer on your router.  This step is important as you don't want its IP to change.  (Only needs to be set once).

Now add the printer as an IP based printer. 

1. At the bottom right, select the time.
  2. Select Settings .
  3. At the bottom, select Advanced.
  4. Under "Printing," select Printers.
  5. Next to "Add printer," select Add printer .
  6. Enter your printer information:
    • Name: Enter any name.
    • Address: Enter your printer’s IP address.
    • Protocol: For most printers, the supported connection protocol is IPP.
    • Queue: For most printers, the queue is ipp/print.
  7. Select Add.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you Rick for getting back to me. I appreciate your help. I have gone thru this many times as you suggest but it always ends up with Google wanting more details on my printer and asked for the model number which is not shown. I don't have a PPD file. What to do next?

Thank you, again

After all the fun with trying to get my MX922 connected to Chrome wirelessly, I gave up and purchased a USB cable. No luck there either. Chrome wants me to select the printer from a list but the MX922 is not listed. I wish I could select another model that would work but no luck there either. Any suggestions or do I have to buy another printer. It sure will not be Canon. This is the second printer I had to purchase to print with Google Cloud printing and now that is going away so I have to purchase another one or just use a memory stick. Crazy and perfect for 2020.

I wouldn't not buy Canon printers, I throw away Chrome book and get somerhing else like I'm going to do.  I found that I can save what ever I want to print to an Email, then with my other piece of juck smart phone that I installed a Canon printing app that I can still print with my MX922.  What we need is a few more fruitcakes making the techknowledgy better, yeah right.  

I have created, using some Mac tools, a PPD file for the MX922.  It's very basic.  Not all features works like duplex printing.  It's really a trial and error sort of thing but at this point being able to print something is better than nothing at all.  I can print most things just fine using US Letter in both color or black&white.  All I can say is give it a try.

It's at my Dropbox.

[link disabled per forum guidelines]

The link you sent is disabled in this forum. How else can I get your PPD file for the Canon?

I sent you a private message.

Thank you very much. I still cannot print. I tried Wireless and a USB connection, but no luck. It sets up alright and shows a dialog message when printing, but the printer does not respond. I had hope, and it looked really good, maybe because I have the MX922 printer. Thank you for trying for me.

Hmmm.  I also have the MX922.

Did you follow the instructions earlier in this thread because they're not quite right for us.

When you go to add the printer, after step 5 when you click ADD PRINTER, a dialog should appear saying "Add a nearby printer" and "Canon MX920 Series" should appear there (if not the Chromebook isn't detecting your printer on the same network).  Click it to select it then click ADD.

The "Advanced printer configuration" should appear. Do NOT fill out anything in the Manufacturer or Model fields.  Just click the Browse button, locate and select the PPD file and click OPEN.  Click ADD one more time and you should be finished.  A little popup should appear stating the printer was added.

If you decide to give this another try removing any non-working printer configurations you may have created and are sitting around.

Announcements