cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not connecting wireless

conniesb1
Contributor
I have a MX470 and from day one I have had nothing but issues to connect wireless, I am ready to throw it away. It will connect for awhile then it will stop. I have reset to default settings, it shows default passcode as 1234567890, I am inputting this exactly as that, yes I am sure it is in numeric mode, it shows those numbers it gave me that was the default passcode, I put it in and it says failed, have tried for hours. It is only about 4 feet from the router. I bought a wireless to be able to connect wireless and this machine has been just horrible.Barely been able to get any use out of it. I really do not want to hook my laptop up every time I want to print , defeating the whole purpose. Ready to go back to HP Could really use some help
10 REPLIES 10

John_B
Rising Star

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system (Windows Vista/7/8 or Mac OS 10.X) you are using. That way, the community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/CanonEmail or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks!

I have Windows 7, HP laptop but my computer sees the printer and will connect to the printer just fine. The printer will not accept the default passcode of 1234567890 and it is only a few feet from the router. I have reset it several times, spent hours and hours and hours on this and ready to throw it away. I did have 3 Canon printers and gave 2 away. I don't know what else to tell you. This is very frustrating and I really did not want ot have to fork out more money and get a new printer but about to change brands if I cannot get it working. Woman Sad

I guess no one really knows how to make your printers connect wireless either. 

Hi conniesb1,

To connect your PIXMA MX490 to your wireless network, please enter your wireless password for connecting to your wireless router.  To do this, follow these steps:

1.  Press the SETUP button on your PIXMA MX490.

2.  Use the left or right button to select Device Settings and press OK.

3.  Use the left or right button to select LAN Settings and press OK.

4.  Use the left or right button to select Wireless LAN Setup and press OK.

5.  Press the STOP button.

6.  Select Standard Setup and press OK.

7.  Select your wireless network and press OK.

8.  Enter your wireless network password and press OK.  Please verify the password, as it is case sensitive and if entered incorrectly, will cause the printer and router to not communicate.  To switch between letters and numbers, press the * key.

9.  Press <OK> on the confirmation screen.  The PIXMA MX490 will search for the access point.

10.  When found, press OK on the Connected to the access point screen.

Please note, Canon's Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback. If this is an urgent support need, please use the link below to reach our friendly Technical Support Team:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks but I have done all of these at least 50 times. I input as you see in my previous message the default passcode that the machine gives me, as I stated I make sure that it is in numeric mode, it still will not connect. Nothing is working. as I stated previously it finds my network, I reset the printer to default password which the machine actually shows it to you.  

Hello.

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks but I am sure there is a charge for that. I will just go buy a HP printer and be done with it.  I had hoped to convert everything to canon but looks like I need to go back to HP. 

Hello.

Canon USA does not charge for technical support over the phone or via email.  Use the Contact Us link below if you would like more assistance with your issue.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Spoiler

Hi conniesb1 - if it’s not solved and you haven’t binned the printer, perhaps some confusing terms have been throwing you off track (like they do for me!).

I’m no networking expert, but have Googled a lot of info re my similar problem.  My Canon printer doesn’t have a password of its own, and I can’t remember reading of any printer that does (though you may well have a Canon password for other purposes, e.g. registration/support).  I think your printer’s wifi setup was asking for the password of your wireless network.  Just as people can’t casually join your private wifi network without being given the password (unless the network is unsecured), devices can’t either, for the same reasons.  (It also makes sure the printer’s joining your network, not a neighbour’s).

I felt for you when I found this topic.  When trying to get my head round networking.te my own printer, I’ve found a lot of search results confusing.  The point of technical terms is to have a short word/phrase for a precise meaning (which can always be looked up).  The deeper you go into networking the more complex it gets.  And just to make it even more fun, there’s usually a choice of words for the same meaning.  And what’s worse is different people using the same word to mean different things.  I’ve even noticed it sometimes with the Canon Mods here, and in some of the official instructions for Linksys routers.  (End of rant!).  Anyway, this networking confusion’s been sending me round in circles too, and I’ve been tinkering with computers since the 1980s.

Sometimes people call a network password the ‘router password’, which I find confusing.  To me, a router password is the one needed to access and change the settings in the router (but please correct me someone if that’s wrong!).  That’s just one example.

Perhaps you already know that a password for a wireless network is set in the network’s router?  And that the type of password depends on the type of security the router’s set to?  (If WAP, the password’s often called a passphrase, as it can be as long as a whole sentence, and can have spaces between words.  If it’s WEP, the password’s often called a PIN, as it’s (I believe) a number with not many digits).  Maybe the number sequence your printer showed was for selecting the digits to give the printer the network PIN - who knows?  (Not the Canon Product Experts here, it seems).

It seems the more expert people are on something, the fewer of them are able to remember what they needed to know as a novice.  If a fellow novice can be any help just give me a shout!

Announcements