cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton 360 VPN prevents eithernet connection to Cannon MX922 Printer

TomDun
Apprentice

I installed Norton .360 on my PC. It has a VPN feature which allows you to turn on VPN.  When I do, an can not get my Cannon 922mx printer to respond to a printer request.  As soon as I turn the VPN feature off, the printer responds with what ever is in the print Que.  Norton support wanted access to my PC to trouble shoot the porblem, but I refused to give such access as I don't trust them to do the right thing.  They would not tell me what they wanted to do, so I ended the call.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I have no idea about your experience level with VPN.  I'll explain in basic context.  The two most common types of VPN are SSL and IPSec. 

Hosted VPN encrypts your connection and the data sent from your machine to the host.  In this case, that is Symantec.  What does that mean?  It means that all of the traffic from your machine is being routed through Symantec's servers, not your local network.  Your printer is connected to your local network.  

In order to fully anonimize your identitiy local traffic is not allowed to be routed over the local network (typically by default) as it is less secure.  Thats not to say that it can't be enabled, but it depends on the type of VPN and the level of access you have to its configuration.  Its doubtful that a hosted service allows this (by default) as it defeats the purpose of the service they are providing and could potentially reveal your identity, location or personal information.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I have no idea about your experience level with VPN.  I'll explain in basic context.  The two most common types of VPN are SSL and IPSec. 

Hosted VPN encrypts your connection and the data sent from your machine to the host.  In this case, that is Symantec.  What does that mean?  It means that all of the traffic from your machine is being routed through Symantec's servers, not your local network.  Your printer is connected to your local network.  

In order to fully anonimize your identitiy local traffic is not allowed to be routed over the local network (typically by default) as it is less secure.  Thats not to say that it can't be enabled, but it depends on the type of VPN and the level of access you have to its configuration.  Its doubtful that a hosted service allows this (by default) as it defeats the purpose of the service they are providing and could potentially reveal your identity, location or personal information.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements