cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking for Pixma MX882 printer: I have a FIOS Actiontec router

wedodesign
Apprentice

I have a Pixma MX882 printer, with two desktop PC's and one laptop, (all Windows 7) with a FIOS Actiontec router. The 2 PC's are connected by ethernet directly to the router, while the laptop uses a wifi connection. I need to print from all three computers. For the past year, the printer has had a direct USB connection to one PC, and I print from the other PC and laptop by sharing the first PC's USB printer connection. Recently I got tired of having to wake up the first PC to print through it, so I abandoned the USB connection, and  using the Canon EZ setup on the original disk, reconfigured the setup so that the printer and two PC's all have a direct wired connection to the router. This works fine. My problem is getting the the laptop to print through the network. I have full working wifi connection from laptop to network, but I don't know how to get the laptop to recognize the printer. I've tried through the Windows 'add printer' on the devices and printer window, but it doesn't fully connect. The printer appears to install the drivers, but the Canon printer icon is greyed out in the 'devices and printer" window. Any suggestions? Should I use the original setup disk toconnect the laptop, and if so, which LAN choice do I make during the installation: wired? Wifi? Thanks. 

1 REPLY 1

Karl1
Rising Star

Hi wedodesign,

You will want to use the CD to install the printer onto your laptop, but as for which choice you would use would depend on whether the printer itself is wired or wireless to the router.  If your printer is wired to the router via ethernet, you would choose wired even though the laptop is wireless.  If your printer is wireless to the router, you would choose wireless.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements