cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Issues - Cannot Access via Hostname & Wakeup After Sleep (Model: MF216n)

hftsai256
Apprentice

I have my printer connected by ethernet and the "only" way to get it operate is to go to Menu -> Network Setting -> Initialize Network Setting, and then re-install printer on my system. Once the printer goes into energy saving mode (sleep) it will never work again until I re-initialize the network settings again.

Also the hostname 'Canon59d87a' is not properly registered on my DHCP server so that I have to access the printer by IP address.

Firmware version: v11.02 04/27/18

* System Management Settings
Auto Online for Remote Scan: On
Display Job Log: On
Use as USB Device: On
Use Product Extended Survey Program: On
Network: UFRII LT
USB: UFRII LT

* Network Settings

Auto Acquire: On
Select Protocol: DHCP
Auto IP: On
Primary DNS Server Address: 10.0.0.1
Secondary DNS Server Address: 0.0.0.0
Host Name: Canon59d87a
Domain Name: lan
DNS Dynamic Update: Off
Use mDNS: On
mDNS Name: Canon MF210
Acquire Host Name: On
DNS Dynamic Update: Off
Use IPv6: Off
Use LPD Printing: On
Use RAW Printing: On
Use WSD Printing: On
Use WSD Scanning: Off
Use Multicast Discovery: On
Use HTTP: On
Key and Certificate Settings: Set.
Settings that use TLS
Use Proxy: Off
LPD: 515
RAW: 9100
WSD Multicast Discovery: 3702
HTTP: 80
SNMP: 161
MTU Size: 1500

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for your comment. It doesn't point to the core issue but it gives me a hint to figure out what is actually going on:

In brief, printer will turn off mDNS (Bonjure) after a period of time (before it went to sleep) and the only way to re-enable it is to manually switch off/on mDNS function. Yes we could always point printer address to http://<hostname>/ipp/print in CUPS backend. Unfortunately MacOS can only listen on mDNS (Bonjure) scanner.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Try this.

Router:

Limit the scope of your DHCP pool: 10.0.0.100 ~ 10.0.0.200

Assign the printer a static IP above or below this range:

between

10.0.0.2 ~ 10.0.0.99

or 

10.0.0.201 ! 10.0.0.254

Result.  Printer will always get the same IP.  Router will never hand out the IP assigned to the printer previously to another device.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for your comment. It doesn't point to the core issue but it gives me a hint to figure out what is actually going on:

In brief, printer will turn off mDNS (Bonjure) after a period of time (before it went to sleep) and the only way to re-enable it is to manually switch off/on mDNS function. Yes we could always point printer address to http://<hostname>/ipp/print in CUPS backend. Unfortunately MacOS can only listen on mDNS (Bonjure) scanner.

Announcements