cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MP560 My printer won't prompt for a password

angelambell
Apprentice

I recently changed internet providers and since having the new service my MP5650 won't prompt to let me enter th epassword for the wifi. I've reset my wifi, attempted to reinstall the software on my computer, and reset factory settings on the printer. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For the records, we investigated for a customer the very same problem.

It turned out that 802.11r amendment makes Canon wireless detection go crazy and see WPA2 network as unencrypted.

Turning off 802.11r on Wi-Fi properties allows the printer to see the correctg encryption and connect.

After succesfull connection, by the way, you can even turn 802.11r back on if needed.

HTH, HAND.

View solution in original post

66 REPLIES 66

My TS8320 that I just bought is having the exact same problem. The printer NEVER prompts for a password, so there is no way for me to "manually" set up a WiFi connection. I'm pretty pissed that this $150 printer can't even do the simplest of tasks!

Was this ever solved. I just got the TR4520 and I am having the exat same issue.

Use WPS mode to connect and it should work fine after that. At least, that suggestion was what worked for me and I'm also using a Hitron router, as was the person who suggested this...

Nada. Didn't work for me either. Never gets to the password part. But sometimes I can see the connection using Wifi Direct on my Android phone. But not on my Chromebook. Which is what I want.

This doesn't work because the box to enter passphrase does NOT appear

What I found that works is to attach a wifi repeater to your network and then attach your printer to the repeater.  In my case the repeater will ask for the password and you're good to go.  Got a $20 Netgear repeater from Amazon.

Well that is how it is supposed to happen. But it does not do this. It does not ask for the password or even say you are connected to the Internet. It doesn't go that far. I can see it on my Android phone that it is connected to my wifi. Sometimes. But not always. Pain in the butt. But it will absolutely not do it with my Chromebook. I'll be getting a new Chromebook next month so maybe that will help. I doubt it though.

Dear Michael, I have a ts8220 tried so many ways to get password window to show until I tried your 1-13 steps and it worked, activating IPV6 then disabling it made the password window show up for my TMOBILE G5 wifi router. Thank you so much. Anselmo

angelambell
Apprentice
I do steps 1-5 then the printer does not go to step 6.
It just tries to connect without asking for a password. My network is secure, therefore the connection attempt fails. I've tried restoring factory settings on the printer and resetting the modem, neither has helped.

Me too!  MG5420  I was told by one tech person that the only way around it is to get a router attached to the modem and connect the printer through the router.  Haven't tried that yet.

Announcements