cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer can't find the printer on the network (PIXMA MG5420 with Windows 7)

kkbrewer
Apprentice

I'm trying to install the PIXMA MG5420 on my Windows 7 and I keep getting this message that says my computer can't detect the printer on the network. I have a router set up. I checked the signal strength of the printer (86%) and the connection (active). I don't have a USB cable for the printer because it didn't come with one and should be wireless. I would really like to get my printer installed. Please help!

35 REPLIES 35

That's left over from the previous posts. I have a Mac and I'm not running any form of Windows, but this thread describes the problem which is that although I got the printer to find the network, the computers cannot find the printer on the network. I've followed nearly all the advice above, but gotten nowhere.

I ampresuming the printer is successfully connected to the network and you can get it to print the network information.

What is the ip address of your printer and what is the ip address of you mac.  Do they start with 192.168 or 10.0?

The reason Why I ask is, with my issue my Mac has a habbit of bridging the network, so I was trying to install the printer on one local network (exclusive to my macBook), and the printer was on my office network.  Two separate networks, and therefor could not see the OS/ printer install could not see the printer.

The printer itself confirmed that it successfully connected to the network, yes. I haven't made it print anything. 

The IP starts with 192. 

I had an earlier Canon that did all this just fine, no hassles. 

Basically yes, it doesn't show up in that window even though the printer itself says it has joined the network.

Well, good news, on the 4th or 5th restart of everything, it suddenly showed up on the network and seems fine now.

The main thing I did as suggested in this thread: I made sure Bonjour was on on the printer (and it showed up on the network as Bonjour). 

Hope this helps the next person.

The rejoicing was too soon. Yeah, I managed to print a couple of test pages, but when I came home tonight and tried to print from a laptop (that I had already printed from), it didn't work. I can print from my desktop but no longer from my laptops. Awesome, I had a printer that could do that years ago, all it took was a USB cable.

Back to Micro Center tomorrow. I have no use for a printer that only prints test pages, once in a blue moon. I can't believe I went from a Canon that was a breeze to set up to print wireless to this one that has been such a pain.

Would someone from Cana service team mind to put down the "manual" installation steps?

So far I had only been lucky in downloading the driver ... but it will not install as it cannot find the printer.

But it is on the network: Bonjour enabled,Wireless Active and connected to the same SSID [I have a printout from the printer that shows me the connection information].

Actually I can print from another computer on that very same printer - I had the full SW package installed some few years ago and I recall that the install was anything but easy at that time, but I cannot recall the solution.

Thank you,

Enno.

1. Goto Device Manager and Uninstall the printer. Disconnect printer from computer (unplug).

2.reboot

3.Connect the printer to computer. Windows will 'find' the new device (msg in lower right corner) and find its driver (if windows has one in its database) or it will open the installation window. Don't let it search online, direct it to the folder/drive where the (downloaded) driver resides.

4.Make sure that you have proper drivers installed on your system

Regards,

Christian

AngeloT
Apprentice

I have a similar problem with my new printer PIXMA MX530. when i'm trying to connect my printer to my router can't cannect. It keeps saying try again. I follow the steps, "press WEP botton on your ruter for about 5sec and then press OK on your printer" but nothing's happening. what should I do? Is there any other way? 

Thanks

Announcements