cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer can't find the printer on the network (PIXMA MG5420 with Windows 7)

kkbrewer
Apprentice

I'm trying to install the PIXMA MG5420 on my Windows 7 and I keep getting this message that says my computer can't detect the printer on the network. I have a router set up. I checked the signal strength of the printer (86%) and the connection (active). I don't have a USB cable for the printer because it didn't come with one and should be wireless. I would really like to get my printer installed. Please help!

35 REPLIES 35

Note this is a Windows 10 installation.

Update:
I have two Canon wireless printers that stand side by side. Both are powered on and both show the blue Wi-FI indicator. Settings for both are idenical.
1. Canon MX922 wireless connects to the network and my PC. It functions correctly.
2. Canon MG5420 wireless does not connect to the network or my PC despite repeated completion of all troubleshooting steps. It remains invisible to my PC. It can print when connected by USB cable.

Turning on Network discovery was a good idea, but it was already on. 
Still looking for a solution, For example: "your printer's the wireless hardware (or software) is defective and needs to be replaced. Here's how to do it..."

Hi 

Did you ever get this resolved. 

Been through the whole system with Canon and still not recognising my printer. Am using Windows 10.

I finally resolved it by returning the Canon and getting an HP.

Disappointing in that I had had two Canons before it which worked well and made good photo prints, but this one was a hapless mess.

Thank you sir. After several hours your message got me there.

douggate
Apprentice

I just bought the MX532 and I am having the same problems with connecting the printer to the Internet. I have gone into my router security and ensured that it is broadcasting with the same encryption as the printer but no success as of yet. I saw on line that it is recommended to set up the printer with a windows computer will that do it?

Doug

Hello.

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the causes of your issues. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I was able to contact Canon here in Canada and the service representative was extremely helpful.

The problem was that I have a Rogers Hitron dual band modem/ router and the IPv6 was not turned off so the printer did not get an IP address assigned to it. If you have the same modem/router and are trying to connect your wireless printer try setting the IPv6 to inactive.

Hope this can help others.

Cheers!

Doug

chinperera
Apprentice

Possible solution for all the Mac Users, using parlells .  

Change the network settings in the Device Menu to Bridged Network instead of Shared Network.

It is very distressing to see that this is a known problem and it has never been adequately corrected. 

I have a brand new Pixma MG5720 to replace a previous Pixma which died much too soon. This one may be going back to Micro Center any minute, but for now, I too am stuck with a printer that the computer can't find on the network after going through all the responses here. Is there any answer or should I just give up and return it?

Hi Mike,

Maybe I can help.

Can you tell me if if the Windows 7 Machine is a virtual machine running on a Mac, or if it is a standalone machine?

Announcements