cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer can't find the printer on the network (PIXMA MG5420 with Windows 7)

kkbrewer
Apprentice

I'm trying to install the PIXMA MG5420 on my Windows 7 and I keep getting this message that says my computer can't detect the printer on the network. I have a router set up. I checked the signal strength of the printer (86%) and the connection (active). I don't have a USB cable for the printer because it didn't come with one and should be wireless. I would really like to get my printer installed. Please help!

35 REPLIES 35

Julius
Rising Star

Hello kkbrewer,

Please try running through a few wireless troubleshooting steps HERE.  If you still can't get connected, my next suggestion is to reinstall using the WIRELESS SETUP GUIDE.

Also, feel free to drop our tech support team a line: bit.ly/ContactCanon

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi there,

I also have this printer and for some reason my devices are not recognizing this wireless printer. I ran through these steps it says my connection is active and my signal strenght is at a 100% but my wireless devices are still not recognizing this printer. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi rhunt1,

You will want to ensure that the Bonjour setting of the printer is enabled to try and resolve the issue.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Navigate to SETUP from the main screen of the printer.

2. Press the third Function button below the screen to display the SETUP menu.

3. Use the left/right arrows to select DEVICE SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

4. Use the up/down arrows to select LAN SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

5. Use the up/down arrows to select OTHER SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

6. Use the up/down arrows to select BONJOUR SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

7. Use the up/down arrows to select ENABLE/DISABLE BONJOUR, then press the OK button.

8. Use the up/down arrows to select ENABLE, then press the OK button. The printer will enable the setting and then display a confirmation screen showing that it was set.

9. Press the HOME button to return to the main menu.

Should you still experience difficulty after enabling the Bonjour setting, please call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

rlanoue
Apprentice

I am having the same issue, although I'm using both a Macbook and an ios device. I can't seem to find the printer on the network no matter what I do.

I have even gone through the registration process on my phone, through the app. I joined the "setup" network, registered the printer to my wifi network by choosing it from the list and typing in my password. It gave me a message saying "settings sent." But then the app kept searching, and there's no printers listed in my app.

On the laptop I went through the setup guides, but my computer could never find the printer on the network. My laptop and router and printer are all within 10 feet of each other, so signal isn't an issue. My internet works perfectly, so the network isn't faulty. It's the printer somehow. Very frustrating. Please help!

Same here.  Just got my printer today.  I can see that the printer is connected to the wireless router, but the Setup program cannot find the printer on the network.  Very frustrating.  (MacOS 10.10.4)

I called Canon support, and Jason got me connected.   The Setup application didn't work.  Had to download the printer driver, scanner driver, and network tool separately. 

MG5420 Printer invisible to network and PC

I've been through every troubleshooting step listed in posts related to MG5420 on this web site. I also obtained telephone or onsite customer support from:

1 Canon (telephone, more than one hour)
2 XFinity, ISP and provider of my router (on site, several hours)
3 Local computer technician (on site, several hours)
4 Dell (telephone, several hours)

Printer works OK via USB cable. All drivers are current. I even installed a new Canon MX922 wireless printer and a new router. They work perfectly, but MG5420 does not.

Summary: it's not the network, it's not the router, it's not my PC, it's not the ISP. The printer thinks it connects wirelessly to the PC, but it doesn't. The reading is false, like a gas gauge that shows "full" but the tank is empty. To my PC and network, this printer remains invisible.

I need this printer to work wirelessly. Any ideas, Canon or anyone? Please advise.

[email address removed per forum guidelines]

Hello.

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed be done to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Network discovery has to be turned on in Windows.  That fixed it for me.  After that, W7 could see the printer.

Good luck!

Announcements