cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mx920 Wireless printing problem

slashmon1
Apprentice

I have just bought an mx920, beautiful printer I may point out, it worked well for the first two days but I cannot print as of today, I connect to the printer wirelessly and all my computers are Macs.

The printer is connected to the network properly and my computer shows that it has an active connectiong, but when I click print the printer goes to "in use" and then goes offline, and the Print Que says "Printer not connected" 

I've tried connecting the printer to the network again, and I have restarted the printer along with my computers but it still wont work. 

Please help 

159 REPLIES 159

Hi dorkwoman,

Reinstalling your PIXMA MX922 should resolve this issue.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Put the PIXMA MX922's CDROM in the CDROM drive.  If the welcome screen appears, exit it.  

2.  Click on Start and then Run.  If Run is not in your Start menu, please follow these steps to add it:

2-1.  Click Start.

2-2.  Right click the Start menu and left click on Properties.

2-3.  Click on the Customize button next to 'Start Menu'.

2-4.  In the Customize Start Menu window, place a checkmark next to 'Run Command'.

2-5.  Click OK in the Customize Start Menu window.

2-6.  Click OK in the Properties window.

3.  Click Browse. In the Browse window, click on "Computer".

4.  Double click the CANON_IJ CDROM.  

5.  Double click the folder named WIN.

6.  Double click the folder named Driver.

7.  Double click the folder named DrvSetup.

8.  Double click the file named DELDRV.  If you are using the 64 bit version of Windows 7, please double click DELDRV64.

9.  In the Run box click OK and follow the on-screen prompts to remove the driver.

Once complete, please follow these steps:

1.  Click on Start and then Run.

2.  Double click the CANON_IJ CDROM.  

3.  Double click the folder named WIN.

4.  Double click the folder named Driver.

5.  Double click the folder named LAN.

6.  Double click the file named CNMNPU.exe

7.  In the Run box click ok.

8.  Follow the prompts to uninstall.

Once complete, restart the computer.

To install the unit for use over your network wirelessly, please follow these steps when the computer restarts:

1.  Press the <Menu> button on your PIXMA MX922.

2.  Select Setup and press the <OK> button.

3.  Select Device settings and press <OK>.

4.  Select LAN settings and press <OK>.

5.  Select Wireless LAN setup and press <OK>.

6.  Select Other setup and press <OK>.

7.  Select Advanced setup and press <OK>.

8.  Follow the on screen prompts to complete the setup.

9.  Take out and then reinsert the CDROM that came with the PIXMA MX922.  The setup program will start automatically.

10.  If the Autoplay screen appears, click Run and then Continue.

11.  Click on Easy Install.

12.  When the Easy Install screen appears, click Install and then "Use the printer with wireless LAN connection" and follow the prompts to complete the installation.

For additional assistance, there are guides that can be viewed by following this link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mx_series/pixma_MX922?se...

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Whoever suggested to disable the iPv6 via the Other LAN settings on the printer, thank you! I disabled this and then went to Confirm WLAN settings and like magic, it now had an iPv4 IP address assigned with a subnet and router listed. Up until doing this, it always showed as blank for those fields in the WLAN confirmation screen. The wireless now works perfectly for me, yay!

For my printer (Canon MG6320) disabling IPv6 didn't solve the problem... which is that it won't print or scan after hours of inactivity, when connected wirelessly.

However, I seem to have stumbled on a solution.  I was looking for a better workaround than turning the printer off and on (which wastes time and ink).  It occurred to me to check whether the printer would wake up if one of its internal settings is modified using the printer's web interface.  The printer's web interface, which can be reached by entering the printer's IPv4 address into a web browser, works even when it won't print or scan.  I noticed that the printer's "Location" setting was blank, so I entered a value into that field and saved it.  That caused the printer to function. 

Since then, it hasn't had a problem, even after days of inactivity.

I hope this works for other people.  Please post here whether or not it solves the problem for you.

Best wishes!

Thanks! How do you find the printer's IPv4 address? Thanks in advance!

MENU > SETUP > DEVICE SETTINGS > LAN SETTINGS > CONFIRM LAN SETTINGS > PRINT LAN DETAILS

I think this is what you're looking for, hope it helps.

Joseph, if the printer has its own screen it can display its address if you use the screen & menus to navigate to its wireless settings. I assume it can also print out its address, using one of the menu options.

I'm not sure whether NoWake2000's instructions are accurate.  I think you're looking for the wireless settings, not the LAN settings.

entered a value in the location....

result - still failed. 

@elmatic0ne, thanks for trying it. (I'm surprised more people haven't tried it and reported their result.)  My printer has been behaving fine ever since I tried it.

I'm sorry to hear that entering a value in the Location field didn't work for you.  I'll assume that after entering the value, you also clicked on the Save button, but if you're unsure whether you saved it you might check the printer's Settings webpage again to make sure the value you entered is still there. 

I'm also assuming your problem is the same one that was cured for me by entering a value in Location: after hours of inactivity, the printer was no longer available. (In other words, the computer behaved as if the printer wasn't connected, and displayed an error message that said that.)  Some people who have posted comments in this thread have had different wireless connectivity problems.  So it might be helpful if you confirm the assumption by describing your printer's wireless problem in your own words.

Here's a diagnostic question that may help your troubleshooting: Is the printer's webserver accessible by your computer's web browser while the printer is unavailable for printing?  In my case, it was accessible.  If it's not accessible in your case, I think it's a hint that your wireless connectivity problem has a different cause... and the cause isn't necessarily the printer.  What other troubleshooting steps have you tried?

@Another_Victim

strange thing - turned on the printer after 24 hours and connected without issue. Even had location listed that I entered the previous night. So I thought, great it finally works!

a few hours later, went back to it and no connection at all. Tried this morning, no connection. 

I can only connect to the printer web interface when it is actually connected.

Funny thing is, I see the printer mac address in "wireless clients" but not listed in dhcp table. Every other device connects without issue, once again - without issue. Why would a printer be any different. I have family and firends come over and use my wifi connection with their laptops, tablets and cell phones - they leave and come back after a few weeks and their device recalls the connection right away. 

In any case, I'll try one more time tonight - if not then bye bye canon. 

@eImatic0ne: Have you set your router to assign a "static" IP address to the printer? Does the printer still have the same IP address as it had when it was working? You should use the printer's built-in touchscreen menu to display its wireless settings both when it's working and when it's not working, to see if anything is different.

A changed printer address could explain why you also weren't able to connect to the printer's web server.

If family and friends are occasionally bringing wifi-accessing devices such as smartphones & laptops within range of your wifi router, it might affect the address your router assigns to your printer, unless you set your router to assign a static address to your printer.

The only way a printer is different from other devices, I think, is that computers and laptops and smartphones need to know the printer's address (and its other properties) in order to use it to print (or scan).
Announcements