cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 loses wireless connection

guymartin2
Apprentice

I have modified my original message after talking to Linksys (Router) support and Canon support.

My OS on my computer is Vista 64-bit.  My Router is Cisco Linksys E4200.  I have one desktop computer, the printer, 2 iphones and 1 iPad.  Seems to lose connection when printer goes into sleep mode.  Rebooting the printer (OR rebooting the router) reestablishes the connection temporarily , usually  for 6-9 minutes, it has stayed connect longer, but it always goes offline.  I currently have the computer connected with a USB cable, but would like to use it wireless.  To print from the iPad or iPhones you have to reboot the router or printer, then print.  I have been told by Canon that it is a router setting, and I have just spoken to Linksys support today and they say it is the printer going to sleep that causes the loss of connection so the solution is not to change the router settings.  Seems to me, there should be some way to turn off the 'sleep mode' feature on the printer (Canon support says there is no option to turn it off).  That would solve the problem.  Does anyone have a slotuion, apparently neither Canon or Linksys do.  Thanks, Guy   

28 REPLIES 28

Nighthawk with stock firmware handles the mx922 fine. If you ever decide to go to xwrt vortex merlin firmware on the r7000 you will have to disable "wireless lan drx"

I'm also having the same issue with all three of our computers: 1) Toshiba laptop running WIn7, 2) Desktop running Win7, and 3) Acer tablet running Win10 through a wireless router, TC-Link, model TC-W7960. If more than an hour(?) passes then the printer must be power-cycled. As a side note, may not be relevant, I was not able to complete the install with any of the three computers without using the USB cable hardwired between the printer and the PCs. Once the install completed, then the wireless link was established and the USB cable was no longner required.

We had an HP wireless printer before this that worked flawlessly and that was purchased six years ago.

Mark Mays

spiderman916
Apprentice
I have exact the same problem, even if I give to the printer a static IP, after a while, the printer status goes from active to inactive, then only a OFF ON can bring the printer a life again. Looks like I have to dump this new printer and use my MX340 again which works wonderful, just no airprint, thats why I bought the MX922 😞

My Router is a Motorola, but the router has nothing to do with this Canon Printer **bleep**.

I found this same problem to be a result of my changing something (in my case, rearranging my office completely) in the wireless connection.  I reloaded the Canon software CD and selected re-set up (or something like that) from the menu.

Doing so seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Don't give up too quickly.  This may not be specific to your printer.  I bought a new HP multifunction in October and it did the same thing.  I could not recover it on the wireless network without powering it down and actually removing the power cord from the wall.  Then it would come back until the next 'sleep' cycle.  This was a documented HP issue and they were ignoring it.  Printer went back and I bought a Canon MX922 which has worked for severl hundred pages of scanning, but now fails to scan a multipage 2-sided document to a .pdf file.  Fails with Support Code 2804.  Three different Canon techs worked several hours with me today, all very polite, courteous, knowledgable but we could not identify the issue - yet.  Best we can determine is it may be some new scanning security in the financial docs I'm scanning. 

josepena64
Apprentice
I had the same problem. I had to change the wireless router channel to 6. Unpluged the power to the printer. When the printer powered up, it started to print VIA the wireless connection. I hope this works. It worked for me.

AMAZING! EUREKA! Thank you so much josepena64!! Changing our Verizon Router to use Channel 6 got our MX922 to work like it should over wireless. 

I dedicated my username to you! 

Note - if you're not a technical person please don't attempt altering your router in any way - get someone who knows how to do it. 

I was having a similar problem with another Canon printer model (MG5420) which had been printing wirelessly for months from a variety of devices on my network, then suddenly lost the ability to print wirelessly.

After implementing a number of suggested fixes from Canon Support* which did not resolve the problem, I checked every single router setting I could find to see if something looked off. After I disabled an "enable wireless isolation" function, the printer began printing wirelessly again.

So for those who suddenly lose wireless printing ability, check router settings.

*even though they didn't come up with the ultimate fix, Canon Support was there on the weekend, responsive, polite and professional.

Article that might be helpful for others in the same boat:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/how-to-troubleshoot-wifi-wireless-printers/

Announcements