cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 goes to sleep and loses WiFi connection

bruceadler
Contributor

I have a new MX922 that replaced a dead MX870. The old MX870 worked fine until it died but this new MX922 doesn't work correctly on my WiFi network. And the only thing that's changed is the printer (all the other PCs and printers and the Wifi router are the same as before and still work just fine). The new MX922 goes to sleep and can't be woken up from any PC on my network (to print or scan). The old MX870 NEVER had a problem on this WiFI network and NEVER had a problem with sleep mode. I also still have two MX890s that still work just fine. When the MX922 stops responding to pings, the blue WiFi logo on the front is on, and the Network Configuration Page always says "Connection Active" (but it's not).  Any suggestions that it's my router or my PC driver's fault is nonsense. It's clearly a MX922 WiFi bug which Canon needs to fix ASAP.

Over the past few weeks I've discovered that if the printer goes to sleep for an extended period it frequently "loses" it's WiFi connection and nothing I do from my PC will let me print to or scan from it. Basically it stops responding to pings (which tells me that its WiFi network connection is the issue). I usually discover the printer is offline line first thing Monday AM (after the office has been closed all weekend).

When the MX922 goes into a coma the only way I've found to wake it up is to either power-cycle it, or do go into the Device Settings menu and print out the current Network Configuration Page (it sometimes starts printing/scanning again when I exit out of the menus). AND sometimes after waking it up via the menu trick it operates very very slowly (like the Wifi connection is poor or congested) and I end up having to power cycle it to fix it. I shouldn't ever have to power cycle the printer just to wake it up (especially since it probably uses up some ink to recharge the print head each time it powers on).

Since I got it about 6 weeks ago, this printer has gone into a coma about once a week. Recently I tried disabling the Wireless DRX option and that seems to have made it worse. Since I disabled that option, It's gone into a coma 3 times in the past two days.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dgkerr53
Apprentice

First thing I did when I bought this printer is assigned a static IP to it.  I always have to turn the printer off and then on again after I send a job to it if it's been idle more that a couple of days.  I'm looking forward to dumping this sorry printer in the near future.  

View solution in original post

110 REPLIES 110

Also look at the wired DRX setting. Set both to off.

Confirmed! This is the fix that Canon could figure out to tell us.
MENU/SETUP/DEVICES SETTINGS/LAN SETTINGS/OTHER LAN SETTINGS/Wireless LAN DRX setting/DISABLE

Thanks harrybuckman. Your fix cured a nagging problem I had with my MB2320 that would keep losing my wireless connection.

Thank you VTBLue - this fix worked for me.

wsmith986
Apprentice

Thanks to the contributors that recommended changing the LAN Router settings. harrybuckman has it right.  Works faster than it ever has from job to job from multiple Mac's and iPads over AirPlay.  It all started with El Capitan.  It would seem that Cannon would suggest this fix.  

falkor65
Apprentice

My MG6120 continues to do this. How pathetic of Canon dancing around this. Buying a new unit very soon. As another posted stated...." guess what brand I will NOT be buying "!!!! Many Canons. Now I am done. Useless junk. And my unit does not have the drx setting so I cannot even try this work around. GoodBye Canon. Screwing customers over just lost you another one.

CanonPaul
Apprentice

I was having this problem also.  I was reinstalling the driver everytime I wanted to print.  When I used Windows troubleshooting it told me that the printer was not part of the homegroup therefore the network would not look for it.

I just made this fix earlier this morning. This afternoon the printer is still ready (not offline) which tells me that there is hope that the problem has gone away.

Hope this helps others.

macmook
Apprentice
I've used AirPrint printers from HP and Epson for years. Work like a charm with my iOS devices.
Made the mistake of buying a Canon MX922.
Garbage. Loses the WiFi connection and requires a restart daily.

adunn10495
Apprentice

Had the same problem with mt MX410. Had to power cycle it to get it to work. Then I tried to http into the printer and found out the printer WAS connected. The printer supports different protocols, so I deleted the printer and added it WHILE THE PRINTER WAS SLEEPING. The computer discovered the network printer using the BJNP protocol which worked fine.

CanonPaul
Apprentice

I seem to have solved my problem Canon Pixma MG3222.  I have two computers (both Windows 10) that I print from.  One is close enouth to the printer that I can connect with an USB cable.  After I did that, the wireless printer can print anytime even when the USB cabled printer is at sleep.  It's been several months now.

Announcements