cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 goes to sleep and loses WiFi connection

bruceadler
Contributor

I have a new MX922 that replaced a dead MX870. The old MX870 worked fine until it died but this new MX922 doesn't work correctly on my WiFi network. And the only thing that's changed is the printer (all the other PCs and printers and the Wifi router are the same as before and still work just fine). The new MX922 goes to sleep and can't be woken up from any PC on my network (to print or scan). The old MX870 NEVER had a problem on this WiFI network and NEVER had a problem with sleep mode. I also still have two MX890s that still work just fine. When the MX922 stops responding to pings, the blue WiFi logo on the front is on, and the Network Configuration Page always says "Connection Active" (but it's not).  Any suggestions that it's my router or my PC driver's fault is nonsense. It's clearly a MX922 WiFi bug which Canon needs to fix ASAP.

Over the past few weeks I've discovered that if the printer goes to sleep for an extended period it frequently "loses" it's WiFi connection and nothing I do from my PC will let me print to or scan from it. Basically it stops responding to pings (which tells me that its WiFi network connection is the issue). I usually discover the printer is offline line first thing Monday AM (after the office has been closed all weekend).

When the MX922 goes into a coma the only way I've found to wake it up is to either power-cycle it, or do go into the Device Settings menu and print out the current Network Configuration Page (it sometimes starts printing/scanning again when I exit out of the menus). AND sometimes after waking it up via the menu trick it operates very very slowly (like the Wifi connection is poor or congested) and I end up having to power cycle it to fix it. I shouldn't ever have to power cycle the printer just to wake it up (especially since it probably uses up some ink to recharge the print head each time it powers on).

Since I got it about 6 weeks ago, this printer has gone into a coma about once a week. Recently I tried disabling the Wireless DRX option and that seems to have made it worse. Since I disabled that option, It's gone into a coma 3 times in the past two days.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dgkerr53
Apprentice

First thing I did when I bought this printer is assigned a static IP to it.  I always have to turn the printer off and then on again after I send a job to it if it's been idle more that a couple of days.  I'm looking forward to dumping this sorry printer in the near future.  

View solution in original post

110 REPLIES 110

I'm most appreciative of your finding this solution.   Interestingly, after I ticked the "Enable Access Control"  and saved the changes, the printer woke up from its fog, and started printing !!!   No recycling of the printer.   Terrific solution find - congrats.

I'm having the same issue since I moved my printer to our new office with a different router/network.  So I followed the steps outlined above but now have a new issue, and I have no idea how to fix it.  Here's a screenshot of what my airport thing looks like.  When I click other wi-fi devices it doesn't seem to be able to find any.  If you have any advice, I'd sure appreciate it.  Super frustrating trying to reset the printer everytime I want to use it.

Screenshot 2019-08-01 15.30.56.png

Do you have a fix for a pc with a cisco router?

Changing the settings on the printer as it says here in this forum should work

njwreckdiver
Apprentice

I have the same issues that are described here with my Pixma MX922.  The printer has worked well for months, then all of a sudden it continuously drops the WiFi signal when the printer goes to sleep.  I hooked it to 2 different routers with the same issue, so it is obviously a Canon problem.  The only way to fix it is to cycle the printer on and off.  Makes the WiFi feature worthless when you are not right next to it.  So much for printing remotely.  I have been a long time Canon printer owner, having purchased no less than 6 Canon printers, but this issue has soured me a bit on their products especially since they have not offered up any solution.  I looked through my router settings (Netgear Nighthawk R8000) and could not find anything out of the ordinary that would solve this time out issue.  I will certainly rethink my next printer purchase when choosing the brand. 

@njwreckdiver wrote:

I have the same issues that are described here with my Pixma MX922.  The printer has worked well for months, then all of a sudden it continuously drops the WiFi signal when the printer goes to sleep.  I hooked it to 2 different routers with the same issue, so it is obviously a Canon problem.  The only way to fix it is to cycle the printer on and off.  Makes the WiFi feature worthless when you are not right next to it.  So much for printing remotely.  I have been a long time Canon printer owner, having purchased no less than 6 Canon printers, but this issue has soured me a bit on their products especially since they have not offered up any solution.  I looked through my router settings (Netgear Nighthawk R8000) and could not find anything out of the ordinary that would solve this time out issue.  I will certainly rethink my next printer purchase when choosing the brand. 

I have the fix for Macs. 

1. Go into Finder > Utilities > Airport Utility

2. Select your Router > Click Edit

3. At the top, Click on Network

4. Make sure "Enable Access Control" is ticked, and "Timed Access Control" is to the right. 

Thank you VTBlue for taking the time to provide this solution, unfortunately I do not have a Mac. I have tried to find anything even remotely similar on my PC and router and can find nothing regarding a "time out" feature.  I have NEVER had to do anything like this with any other printer or WiFi connected device.  If the router is working, so should the Canon printer. PERIOD!  Canon dropped the ball on this unit. Unfortunately for me, in an effort to make ink purchasing a little easier, I have 2 of these I own for work and 1 at home for personal use, so replacing all 3 will not be fun, but that is where it is heading.

Hey Canon....guess which brand all my new printers WILL NOT be????      

Thanks again VTBlue.  I appreciate your assistance.  More than Canon has offered.  Now excuse me while I go try to reconfigure my 6 month old $250 Nighthawk router that works with all my connected devices except my Canon printers. 

Sorry I cannot help you out with your Nighthawk, NJ. I could not agree more with your statement that "if the router is working, so should the Canon printer," and that they dropped the ball, big-time. 

I'm in a bind, too, as all printers are Canons...now. That won't be the same within the next six months, though. 

Good luck.

P.S. Have you tried contacting your router's manufacturer and seeing if there's a (hidden) setting like the one I described on my Time Machine? Not that you should have to do that (cough, Canon, cough)...just a thought.

I wish this fix worked for me.  I don't use a router.  I have a Macbook Pro, and a hotspot from Verizon.  When I open the airport utility it can't find anything other than 'internet.'  Frankly I'm not all that sure how I had this set up to print to begin with, but it was working, and now it's not.  I can still print, but have to walk the computer into the office and plug it in.  Thankfully this isn't a business printer, but it's still annoying.

This fix didn't work for me either and for the same reason.  I can get to AirPort utility OK, but all it finds is Comcast, my internet provider so I can't get to next steps.  I might add that this problem only started a week ago for my 2+yr-old Canon printer, and I'm unaware of making any software update before it started.  Any other solutions out there (beside buying a nonCanon printer)?

Announcements