cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX892 always shows offline

KevB
Apprentice

I recently purchased an MX892.  The printer is connected to the router with an ethernet connection.  I've confirmed it's connected via wired LAN (status : active).  However, on each of my two laptops, the printer is visible but shows offline.  If I plug a laptop in via USB, the printer does work.  I'm just unable to print wireless from laptop to printer.  Anyone help?

4 REPLIES 4

Danny

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer. That, and any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue! Thanks and have a great day!

Sure, I'm running Windows 2007 on one laptop and 2008 on the other.  Cisco Linksys e2000 router.  Just using Windows Defender....no other unique firewall/virus software used.

I've power cycled the printer, no change.

Hey there a numerous ways to clear the issue. But none to fix it. 

it always reverts to OFFLINE. Why.

Randy says he knows...http://blog.rtwilson.com/how-to-fix-a-network-printer-suddenly-showing-as-offline-in-windows-vista/c...

Ok so his name is Robin - someone try this and see if it works. i work for SATAN and don't have admin rights.

MarkII
Rising Star

Hi KevB,

The first thing I recommend is checking if the printer is set "Offline".

1. Click the start icon (or press the Windows Key + X on your Windows 8 computer), then click Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-Click the printer's icon and select See what's printing in the dropdown menu.
  3. In the next screen click Printer in the menu bar. If Use Printer Offline has a check mark to the left of it, click Use Printer Offline to remove the check. The printer will now be used online.

If this doesn't work, view the LAN information for the printer again, and get the IP address assigned to the printer.  Perform a quick test to see if the computer and printer are able to communicate over the network.  Take the IP address you have for the printer and place it in the address bar in your internet browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc).  Your address bar should read http://###.###.###.### where the numbers are replaced with your IP address.  A configuration page should appear if the devices are able to communicate.

If the configuration page appears but you are still unable to print, then you may be experiencing some interference by your security software.

Please feel free to Contact Us for additional network troubleshooting.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements