cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX492 wireless setup

johnb492
Apprentice

I've been trying to setup a wireless connection between my new Cannon MX492 and my wireless router.  The printer keeps asking me to press and hold the WPS button on my router for 5 seconds.  My router doesnt have a WPS button.

Am I reading this wrong?

Brand new MX492

On my MAC OS 10.13.1

On my iPad and iPhone iOS 11.2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you!  That video, although it didn’t completely work it got me going in the right direction and I’m up and running. The problem with the video was the website it sent me to ended in a 404 error.  So I never did download the complete software package. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Stephen

Hi johnb492!

Welcome to the Canon Community Forums!

Check out THIS video to see if that helps.

You'll find all of the instruction videos for Wireless help HERE.

If you still have problems, you'll want to reach out to our friendly, US-based support. They're at 1-800-828-4040 weekdays from 10am to 10pm (ET). Support at Canon USA is always completely free!

Thank you!  That video, although it didn’t completely work it got me going in the right direction and I’m up and running. The problem with the video was the website it sent me to ended in a 404 error.  So I never did download the complete software package. 

Krop
Contributor
Have a MX492 for a few years now. Recently wireless
connection dropped with no change to service or modem. Have gone through manuals and setup videos at length. I always get to the step to enter the modem
PW and it won’t connect. Ran diagnostics - SSID is recognized correctly, signal strength 0%, TCP/IP = IPv4 & IPv6

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Krop,

Please try using the WPS Push button method to connect your PIXMA MX492:

1.  Press the wrench and screwdriver button on your PIXMA MX492.  The screen should now show "Wireless LAN setup".

2.  Press OK.
3.  Use the arrow keys to select WPS (Push button) and press OK.
4.  Press the WPS button on your router down for about 2 seconds and then let go of the button.
5.  Press OK at the "Connected Press [OK]" screen.

Please note, if you are using a Hitron or Arris router, this method will not work.  Please try the WPS PIN Code method:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART173515

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Krop
Contributor
Hello Patrick,

I have already tried this and it did not work. There were multiple methods I have tried and they all end the same. Type in wireless password, tries to connect, and times
out. Between TV’s, Mobile Phones, and other wireless devices in the house it is clearly not a signal or modem issue.

Appreciate the suggestion.

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Krop,

Try disabling IPv6.  Please follow these steps:

1. Press the wrench and screwdriver button on your PIXMA MX492.

2. Use the right arrow to select Device Settings and press OK.

3. Use the right arrow to select LAN Settings and press OK.

4. Use the right arrow to select Other settings and press OK.

5. Use the right arrow to select TCP/IP settings and press OK.

6. Press the right arrow to select IPv6 and press OK.

7. A message will scroll across the screen and press OK.

8. Press OK on Enable/disable IPv6.

9. Press the right arrow button to select Inactive and then press OK.

Once set, please turn using the WPS Push Button method again:

1.  Press the wrench and screwdriver button on your PIXMA MX492.  The screen should now show "Wireless LAN setup".

2.  Press OK.

3.  Use the arrow keys to select WPS (Push button) and press OK.

4.  Press the WPS button on your router down for about 2 seconds and then let go of the button.

5.  Press OK at the "Connected Press [OK]" screen.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Krop
Contributor
Thanks again for this feedback. Same situation and outcome where network detected and will not connect when I get to putting the network password in. I may have to just revert back to the “old” USB cable method.

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Krop,

Install your PIXMA MX492 on your Mac using a USB cable.  Please use the CUPS printer driver available from this page:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-s...

Once installed, download the "Canon IJ Network Tool" from this page:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-s...

When the IJ Network Tool is installed, please open it.  The username is ADMIN and the password is canon

Please follow these steps:

https://support.usa.canon.com/infocenter/index?page=content&id=ART115899

Hello again!

Many thanks for the response.  I did follow the downloads and updates.   When running the IPS it gets to the point where the wireless password has to be entered for the network and the same happens, it will not connect.    It recognizes the right network in the field but will not accept the password.  

At this point I may have to continue just using the USB cable, defeats the convenience of wireless.   Or I may have to consider if there is a total wipe/re-boot of the printer necessary aside from just the drivers.

Announcements