cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX492 scanning Chromebook

Gb1
Apprentice
I bought the MX492 to use with a Chromebook. Printing works fine with Google cloud print. Scanning does not work. I tried plugging to laptop into the printer with a USB, but that didn't help. I can scan using the Canon/SELPHY app on my android phone.

It is seeming like I should return this printer, but I thought it was worth checking here before I do so.
8 REPLIES 8

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Our drivers and software are only compatible with the latest Windows or Mac OSX computer.  Although it may be possible to print on a Chromebook through the Google Cloud Print service, you cannot scan with a Chromebook.   

In this case, if you do not have a standard Windows or Mac OSX computer, you will have to scan using the Canon PRINT app on your Android device.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Michael:

ou are misinformed.

1. Canon has a Pixma/Selphy app for Android maintained in the Google Play Store.

2. That app works for printing and for scanning to a folder created during installation in the Android app data file structure.

3. Many Chromeboks now support Android apps and more will soon.

4. Canon's Pixma/Selphy app is not flagged as incompatible with Chrome devices. When  Chromebooks having access to the Google Play Store,  the app can be installed.

I just bought the MX492, installed the Android Pixma/Selphy app on my Chromebook. It is unable to find the printer. It remains at "searching for printers." I believe I have set up the printer properly from the control panel. Google Cloud print works fine as does Air print. Since I am trying to scan documents I need the Selphy app to work. Any help?

Hi rmbsept,

Currently at this time the Canon Print Inkjet/Selphy app is not supported with a Chromebook. As a work around if you have a Andorid or iOS mobile phone or tablet, you can scan to that device and then send it to your Chromebook.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The app has improved so much. It's quick and easy to use. It allows scanning of single and tray-fed documents; it allows saving to different formats and it shows where it put the scanned docs. 

Well done Canon!

I installed  Pixma/Selphy 

plugged  in the USB

list of canon printers arrived but NOT MX492 in the list

Could I choose another in the list would it work?

a friend said with millions of Chromebooks on the market now,
if Canon has not organized it like HP to function with Chromebooks. scrapped the Canon printer and get an HP and solve this terrible problem

can you try installing and running the Android app from your chromebook?  https://www.google.com/chromebook/howto/download-apps

Announcements