cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX492 says connected but still not found

TJMagoo
Apprentice

I just purchased the MX492 printer. I have gone through the cableless setup many time. I even entered my password for my wireless connection. It said it was connected. When I go through setup, it continues not to find the printer on the network. It keeps giving me this message at the end:

Failed to perform cableless setup. Suspend the process and select other setup method by following the instructions on the screens.

What am I missing here? It shows connected but not showing up during setup. Thanks in advance.

- Kelly

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Welcome Kelly,

Have you followed these steps?:

Cableless Setup

The printer should be connected to a 2.4Ghz wireless broadcast.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes. It goes through all the steps. The printer even says follow the messages on the screen. I get to the last step and get the above message I posted.

Kelly,

I understand the software setup does not complete.  Whats does the router show at the end of this process?  Log in and look at connected devices.  Does the printer apear?  If it is indeed connected, it will appear with an IP address under connected devices.  If you know the IP, try logging into the printer's webserver...  just enter its IP address into your browser.

Another possibility...  are you running anti virus software?  There is a chace it might conflict with the printer's set up.   

What I'm trying to verify is where the problem lies.  With the network connection or on the computer?

What is the brand/moodel of your router?

What OS are you running on your computer?

Antivirus if installed? 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

It did show as connected on my wireless hotspot. I didnt look up the IP address though. Let me try what you suggested and see if that works. Thanks!

Hi TJMagoo,

Were you able to get your PIXMA MX492 working wirelessly?  If not, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

HI I'm having the same problem!!  My MX 294 is connected to internet but cannot be found on my Majove OS Mac...

It was working until i recently ran a couple anti-viral software.  How do I get it to work again?

I used Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes to deep clean my computer recently....

Thanks!

Winnie

Hi winnienea,

Based on your description, it look like the printer was blocked after running the anti-virus software. I would recommend contacting the creator of the anti-virus software to have them deactivate any blocks that are preventing the communication to the printer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

doneyhue
Apprentice

All of a sudden one day I had a problem with my MacBook and iPhone not being able to find my Canon MX492 printer. I tried several of the fixes on the forum, including deleting the printer and trying to re-add it (could not find it, even though printer said it was connected), unplugging and re-plugging the printer, and restarting the computer. I finally forked out the $19.95 to talk to technical support. For those of you who are not computer-savvy like myself, I wanted to share what finally worked. 

1. Push button for Setup Menu

2. Select "Device settings"

3. Select "LAN settings"

4. Select "Print LAN details"

It will print a sheet of paper. On this I was able to confirm that the Wireless LAN was Enabled, Connection was Active, and the Signal Strength was good. 

Next she asked the IPv4 IP Address. She said if it starts with 169.254, that this was not a vaild IP address. The next steps were as follows:

5. Unplug printer and leave unplugged

6. Unplug wireless router for about 10 secones, then plug back in

7. Plug the printer back in.

After this, she had me follow steps 1-4 again. This time, the IP address started with a different number, and the phone and printer were able to detect it. 

Apparently it was a faulty IP address, which needed the router power-cycled while the printer was unplugged. 

I hope this saves someone else $19.95 🙂

HOLY &%#@! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS. I can't thank you enough for the clear instructions which FINALLY WORKED to fix my suddenly-invisible printer. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Announcements