cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX472 cannot connect to Mac running 10.11.2

wizard_chef
Contributor

What was once working I can no longer make work, with no changes in OS or anything else I am aware of. I can get the printer to connect to the Netgear router, and I can even add the printer to my Mac running 10.11.2. It installs the MX472 using the MX472 driver.

But when I go to print, the spooler window says the printer is off line and cannot be found. ????

I have turned off DRX and ipV6 as instructed. No cigar.

The other problem is the printer appears to drop out after some time once I manage to somehow get it working again. Help appreciated. I am very close to buying a very long USB cable, or just dropping the Canon into the electronic recycle. The image below was scanned on my HP printer.

CanonData.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, I think it was trying to connect with another hot spot in my house and not the router that sits 2 feet from the printer.

I was able to finally get everything connected by:

1. Resetting the printer on the Mac in the System Preferences console -> Printers & Scanners

2. Renaming the Main Disk -> Libraries -> Printers folder

3. Downloading all of the drivers and other installation software from the Canon site

4. Following the wireless instructions in the setup. However, I was not able to connect the wireless until I connected the printer via a USB cable first and set the printer up via the cable.

5. Add the printer back into the list on the Mac using the install instructions. Voila! A different name for the printer now appears that was not there before, and it is NOT a Bonjour connection!

6. For the moment it appears to work, but for how long???

Folks, this is 2016. This is way too complicated and way too cumbersome and way too unreliable. It's like something I used to do in the early 80s when the first IBM personal computers came out.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

The weak signal strength may be a factor here.  It is recommended to have a strength of about 75% or better for optimal communication.  Consider moving the printer closer to your Wi-Fi router to improve the strength.

If you continue to have difficulties with this issue, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Yes, I think it was trying to connect with another hot spot in my house and not the router that sits 2 feet from the printer.

I was able to finally get everything connected by:

1. Resetting the printer on the Mac in the System Preferences console -> Printers & Scanners

2. Renaming the Main Disk -> Libraries -> Printers folder

3. Downloading all of the drivers and other installation software from the Canon site

4. Following the wireless instructions in the setup. However, I was not able to connect the wireless until I connected the printer via a USB cable first and set the printer up via the cable.

5. Add the printer back into the list on the Mac using the install instructions. Voila! A different name for the printer now appears that was not there before, and it is NOT a Bonjour connection!

6. For the moment it appears to work, but for how long???

Folks, this is 2016. This is way too complicated and way too cumbersome and way too unreliable. It's like something I used to do in the early 80s when the first IBM personal computers came out.

Announcements