cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX2320-"NOT CONNECTED TO PRINTER" message

LisetteC
Apprentice

Updated driver a couple of days ago and ever since then, the Wifi printing is wonky.  Must turn the printer on and off to have it print. LAN is active, and wifi connected properly.  

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings.

Printing is possble after printer has been power cycled. 

This is a common problem.  Possible causes.

-IP address of printer is changing - not set as static IP:

Why this is a problem.  Your computer remembers the IP your router has assigned the printer and will try to use that as a destination when printing.   If this changes, the computer will send the job to a destination that no longer exists.  Restarting the printer forces it to get a new IP from the router, and printing resumes.  But if it changes again, printing will fail.

Solution:  Assign a static IP to the printer, this way it won't change.and devices on your network can always find it and its "destination" (static) IP.

-Reinstalling / updating the printer Driver:

Being current is good, but reinstalling without removing the old printer instance can cause duplication.  Duplication of the printer instance or (most commonly) a duplicate port or communication method.  When this happens, the computer may send the print job to the wrong printer instance or port.  Once again printing fails.

How to resolve;

Give the printer a static IP.  Do this on your router.  Restart the printer, log in to the router and note its IP address.  Tell the router to use this IP for the printer.  This is probably called Address Reservation in most cases (varies by brand).  Now your router will always give the printer this known IP address, even if its turned off or not used frequently. 

Next step.  Remove the printer from your computer.  Uninstall all Canon/Printer software, restart.  Now reinstall the printer.  Moving forward, you will only have one printer instance, one communication port, and the printer will always get the same IP address.  You only have to do this once. 

Hope this helps 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks...I'll try this. I have a Mac and Apple Router. I've never had to uninstall a driver before, as was always told that the new driver software would over-write the old one. I'll let you know if this works.
Announcements