Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

MP620 Wireless Scan Problems

Worked flawlessly until this recent problem cropped up. Cannot communicate with the scanner over a wireless connection.

-- Problem desktop is running Win 8.1 x64. I can scan and print normally using a USB connection, and can ping the printer on the network. I can also print to the printer over the network.

-- Networked printer works fine (print and scan) from a Win 7 x64 laptop.

-- No problems printing to a USB thumb drive attached to the printer and using the printer control panel, whether it's connected to the desktop wirelessly or by USB.

-- All drivers/utilities are the newest ones on the Canon site.

-- The problem began some months ago, and I saw somewhere online that I couldn't scan if some of the ink cartridges were exhausted. For some reason I believed that, although it sounded a little strange. (BTW...is that correct?) I finally ordered some new cartridges from the US; this printer and the required cartridges aren't on the market where I am. So the printer went unused for 2-3 months. The new cartridges didn't solve the problem, and because my machine was also beginning to slow down a bit, I wiped the drive and reinstalled Windows. The box is snappier, but the printer driver/utility reinstall in the new Windows didn't help.

-- I have three MP620 icons in the list of devices. One is the USB setup, the second is the wireless setup connected to a Canon port (CNBJNP followed by the printer's MAC address). The third is a Google wireless setup that allows me to print from my Android phone. That is working as well.

If I don't have a blind spot, and that's possible because I've pored over all the settings dozens of times by now, I have no idea what to try next. I don't find anything that appears promising in the printer's setup screens either. I thought about trying to compare all the drivers listed in the Win printer test page on the laptop and the desktop, but the OSs are different and I wouldn't know how to figure out if the differences are OS-specific or if something's missing. I guess I'm not even sure that the scanner drivers would be on the printer driver list.

Any suggestions about where to look next would be greatly appreciated.