cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG7720 is not being detected on network

awhittak
Apprentice

When running setup software (or individual driver software), the software is unable to detect my MG7720 on the network. I can ping the printer's IP address succesfully from the Windows 10 systems I'm running, but I'm unable to get the setup or driver software to detect it. The Windows system is on a Private wireless network with Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing enabled. I've rebooted the printer, Windows systems and wireless router multiple times but no luck. Is there something I'm missing here. The Wi-Fi indicator on the printer is indicating that everything's ok.

6 REPLIES 6

Caemene
Rising Star

Hi awhittak,

I understand that your computer is able to ping the printer; however, when performing the driver installation the printer is not detected. To  continue troubleshooting this issue, please print the network configuration page, click HERE for information on printing the network configuration page. After printing the page, press OK and the HOME button. Review the page for the following information:

• SSID: (ensure this is your network name)
  • Signal Strength (preferably higher than 80%)
  • IPv4 IP Address (a valid IP address should start with either 192, 172, or 10)

If you do see an IPv4 IP Address, and it starts with a 192, 172, or 10, please do the following:

1. Open an Internet browser. (You can use the one you normally use to go on the Internet.)
  2. Single-click on the "Address" bar. (This bar is usually at the top of the browser and will display the address of the current web page that you are viewing. It may start with the letters "HTTP" or "WWW." Do not click on a "Search" bar.)
  3. Delete the address that is currently on the "Address" bar by pressing the "Backspace" or "Delete" button on your keyboard.
  4. Use your keyboard to enter the printer's IPv4 IP Address (numbers and dots only). There is no need to add "HTTP://" or "WWW." to the front of the address.
  5. Press the "Enter" or "Return" button on the keyboard.
  6. The browser will open a new window.
  7. If you are asked to enter password, the unit's serial number will be used for the password. Click HERE for information on the serial number.
  8. After entering these credentials, you can click on the “Log In” button or press the "Enter" or "Return" button on the keyboard.
  9. Close the webpage.

With successful access of the printer's webpage, the next step in troubleshooting would be to temporarily disable your computer's security/anti-virus software. While your computer's security/ anti-virus software is disable try and install the driver again.

If you are unable to temporarily disable the computers security/anti-virus software, I recommend contacting the software's developer. They can help you create exceptions for our software and provide exceptions for the ports that may be blocking communication. Once these changes have been made, you should be able to use the printer without disabling your security/anti-virus software.

Please click HERE for more information regarding this issue. The anti-virus or security software developer may ask you for the details in this article.

Able to successfully open printers browser window and can disable the security/anti-virus software. However, driver software

still will not detect printer on network. All ports on computer successfully open. Can create direct connection successfully between computer and printer, however driver software still cannot detect printer.

Hi awhittak,

I would recommend troubleshooting with our support group to narrow down the cause of this issue. Please contact our support group at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM EST(excluding holidays).

Tried that. They sent me here.

Guess there's no futher support options for this. Canon won't accept it for warranty repair since they say driver software is the culprit. Another printer going into the landfill because the manufacturer screwed up the implementation and won't fix it or ortherwise support it.

Hi awhittak,

It is unfortunate to hear that the issue persists. Let's try another route without using the Canon driver. Open the computer's Devices & Printers window through the Control Panel. At the top left, there will be an option to Add a Printer, click on the option. Add the printer by using the printers IPv4 IP Address. This should allow you to add the printer to the computer using the WSD (Windows) driver and not the Canon driver. You will still have full functionality of the printer and scanner functions; however, you will be using Windows Fax and Scan for scanning. 

Announcements