cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG7520 Fickle NFC

hafcanadian
Contributor

My wife’s old Samsung S5 would not work with our MG7520 via NFC.  I heard it was a poor phone antenna.  We just got new S10e phones and I tried printing photos the other morning via NFC and it worked great!

Later that evening I bragged up and went to show off the feature to a visitor, but though the NFC connection was made, only blank 4X6 pix came out!  That was embarrassing!  It still kicks out blanks after a dozen tries with both phones.

Why would it work in the morning and then not again?  Do I need to reload the Selphi apps on the phones, or is the glitch in the printer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I believe I found the culprit.

After trying my phone on a new Brother machine with NFC, it would print okay, but then not repeat without turning the phone's NFC setting off and back on.  It then ocurred to me that although both machines reacted normally to the presence of the phones, the actual data transfer may be interfered with by the aftermarket case on my phone.  My wife's S10e has the thinner standard-issue one provided by Costco's cell phone kiosk company.

My case is quite stout.  Sure enough, when I removed the case from my phone and just left the screen protector on that came with the case, the Canon printed a photo off my phone via NFC as easily as it did with my wife's.  Although the wireless chargering stands that we use work great when we set either phone on them, apparently the NFC data transmission is a much more more sensitive invention and can't permeate heavier duty phone cases.

So for anyone having trouble using their phones with any NFC (Near Field Communication) device like a printer or scanner, you may have to remove the phone from any heavy duty case before the feature will operate properly.  My phone did communicate alright, but in the end only blank photo sheets came out of the printer.  The data stream is on a different signal path than the basic communication link, and needs a clearer route into the printer.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Caemene
Rising Star

Hi hafcanadian,

To troubleshoot this issue, I would recommend power cycling the NFC setting on the printer. The following steps will assist you:

1. Turn the printer off.
  2. Disconnect the power cord for approximately 2 minutes.
  3. After the allotted time has elapsed, reconnect the power cord.
  4. Turn the printer on.
  5. Slide your finger across the screen from LEFT to RIGHT one time.
  6. Press SETUP.
  7. Press DEVICE SETTINGS.
  8. Press DEVICE USER SETTINGS.
  9. Press NFC SETTINGS.
  10. Press DISABLE.
  11. The printer will adjust the setting.
  12. Wait approximately 1 minute.
  13. Press NFC SETTINGS.
  14. Press ENABLE.
  15. The pritner will adjust the settings.
  16. Press the HOME icon.
  17. Attempt to print a test image from your mobile device.

Finally had time to pursue this further.  I followed your guidance and my wife’s Samsung S10e works fine;  I printed two pix off hers with no problem.

But my Samsung S10e simply refuses to cooperate.  I uninstalled the Selphy App and reinstalled it on my phone.  It communicates with the printer and behaves just as my wife’s phone does, with the same displays on the phone and the printer during the process.  The only difference is that although the phone and printer say Printing Complete, all I get out of the printer is a quickly-ejected blank 4X6.

Is there some setting on my phone that needs changing?

Joel

Hi hafcanadian,

Fully restarting or restarting the NFC setting of your Samsung Galaxy S10 may reestablish the NFC communication. For additional assistance with the settings within the Samsung device, I would recommend contacting the device manufacturer or retailer.

I believe I found the culprit.

After trying my phone on a new Brother machine with NFC, it would print okay, but then not repeat without turning the phone's NFC setting off and back on.  It then ocurred to me that although both machines reacted normally to the presence of the phones, the actual data transfer may be interfered with by the aftermarket case on my phone.  My wife's S10e has the thinner standard-issue one provided by Costco's cell phone kiosk company.

My case is quite stout.  Sure enough, when I removed the case from my phone and just left the screen protector on that came with the case, the Canon printed a photo off my phone via NFC as easily as it did with my wife's.  Although the wireless chargering stands that we use work great when we set either phone on them, apparently the NFC data transmission is a much more more sensitive invention and can't permeate heavier duty phone cases.

So for anyone having trouble using their phones with any NFC (Near Field Communication) device like a printer or scanner, you may have to remove the phone from any heavy duty case before the feature will operate properly.  My phone did communicate alright, but in the end only blank photo sheets came out of the printer.  The data stream is on a different signal path than the basic communication link, and needs a clearer route into the printer.

Announcements