cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG6620 printer offline

double_d_pgh
Apprentice

Hi all.  I've installed my MG6620 printer on my Windows 10 laptop.  It prints fine.  The printer is shared wirelessly with about 4-6 other laptops in my house.  

A few days later, I will try to print from my laptop and the printer status is somehow offline.  Even though the printer is on.  Even though other laptops in the house are able to send documents to it and they print fine.

The only way to get the printer to be usable is to reboot the printer and my laptop.

I have seen other threads that suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the driver.  I find that to be pretty inconvenient as it happens on a regular basis.  I just want an explanation and wonder if there is anything I can do from my laptop (other than reboot) to get my laptop to recognize that the printer is online.

Thanks.

D.D.

5 REPLIES 5

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi double_d_pgh,

Since the printer can print from the other devices there is most likely a issue with that one computer and how it's communicating with the printer. When you get the printer offline error  you can print the network settings of the printer by following the steps HERE

Once the network settings print, please open a web browser on your computer, and in the address bar, please type the IP Address on the configuration page into the address bar. Next, tap Go or Enter to access the page. Are you able to see the printer's remote interface?

I would also recommend contacting Windows to see if there is any firewall or security settings that is causing a communication issue to the printer. I would let them know the printer can print from other devices without a issue.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you.  

When I try to access the remote admin page from the laptop in question, I get the following time out:

This site can’t be reached

192.168.55.33 took too long to respond.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

When I try to access the remote admin page from other laptops, I get prompted for username/password.

The Canon Inkjet Print Utility - Printer Information button - is actually trying to open up a link to a different IP address (192.168.55.142 instead of .33).  Would it be trying to access the remote admin IP address (.33)?  That request comes back with this error in Microsoft Edge browser:

Hmmm...can’t reach this page

Try this

Details

Hi double_d_pgh,

On your computer please open the search option and type cmd. Once you are in the command screen, type ping and then your printers ip address (ping 192.XX.XX.XX) and press enter.

If the request times out that means the computer is not communicating with the printer. At that point, you would need to speak with Microsoft because there is either a firewall or security setting interfering with the communication. Remember to let Microsoft know that you can print from other devices as well.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

More likely is the printer has a different IP now, than what it had when it was installed.

This is a very common issue for people who do not assign a static IP to a device.  If it goes to sleep, is turned off or not used frequently, the router may deem the IP address it gave to the printer initially is not longer being used.  It subsequently reclaims the IP in anticipation of handing it out to the next device requesting an IP

Now when a print job is sent, the printer no longer has the IP the computer is expecting.

Solution:

Assign the printer a static IP address (or)

Reserve an IP by its MAC Address

Now the printer will always get the same IP, regardless of how frequently it is used, turned off, sleeps, etc.

If the printers driver includes the IJ Networking Tool, this too can be used to update the printers IP on the PC, but this is more of a bandaid.  If the IP address changes again, print jobs will fail again until the printers IP is updated. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements